You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00132 Feb 2004

AchArya Hrdhyam sUthram 225-7

The Seventh Ten Contd.

THE THIRU-VOI-MOZHI

"AichagamAga iruthi vuRakkoNda swabara prayOjanathai aruLich cheiyya, en
solli,ennAL, pAr, viNNEr, iRappEdhir, edhuvum engiRa upakAra smrithiyOdEa.."

The Lord discloses the reason for detaining AzhwAr in this world for so long. "
AzhwAr! you were detianed for the sake of us and for the sake of the
srEvaishNavic devotees, by making you sing the great psalm-thiru-voi-mozhi".
Not by kArmic effects but by His desire, the Almighty detained AzhwAr and made
the great thiru-voi-mozhi. The effect is the benefit for the Lord and for the
whole world-the thiru-voi-mozhi.

Are there no other poets through whom the Lord could have given this great
work? He could have done this through vyAsa, parAsarA, vAlmikE and so on or
thorugh mudhal-AzhwArgaL. However, the Lord blessed swAmi nam-AzhwAr for this
great deed. Indeed a great blessing/A great fortune -is AzhwAr's gratitude.

Can this gratitude be satisfied easily?No. Even if the three periods-
past,present and future, this cannot be fulfilled. The Grace is so mammoth.

Can the soul be presented to Him?No even that is subservient. Hence, AzhwAr
continued with the mind of gratitude-gratitude and gratitude all along.

pAsuram-s:

to have the benefit of thiru-voi-mozhi through AzhwAr for Himself and the
world, AzhwAr was detained :
"ennai than Akki ennAl thannai, uRap pala in kavi sonna"---> 7-9-9--> The Lord
blessed the world with thiru-voi-mozhi through AzhwAr.

AzhwAr feels overwhelmed by this great blessing. This gratitude is expressed
time and again in the thiru-voi-mozhi "enraikkum ennai"7-9.

"en solli niRpanO!" -1- What can I say for this wonderful Grace?
"ennAL sindhithu ArvanO!"When shall I be fulfilling this gratitude of this
grace?7-9-7;
"pAr, viN nEr muRRum"-7-9-8;
"iRappu, edhir kAlam parugilum ArvanO!" Will I be satisfied even If I consume
about His qualities even for the three tense-periods- past , present and future?
"vudhavik kai mARu en vuyir enna vuRRennil , adhuvum maRRu Angu avan
thannadhu... edhuvum onRum illai seivadhu ingum angEA". --7-9-10--> The soul is
His. There is nothing to be done regarding doing anything to Him.

"Am mudhalvan ivan"'--7-9-3 --The Lord selected AzhwAr as the appropriate
person for this purpose.
"in kavi pAdum parama kavigaLAl than kavi thAn thannai pAduviyAdhu" 7-9-6--The
Lord selected me , instead of granting the thiruvoimozhi through great poets
like vyAsa, vAlmiki etc. or through mudhal-AzhwArgaL.

What a Grace? What a blessing? What a fortune? is the expression again and
again by AzhwAr for the Lord granting thiru-voi-mozhi through swAmi nam-AzhwAr.

THE THIRU-VOI-MOZHI

(to be continued)
vanamamalai padmanabhan

Home Page