You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jan 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00113 Jan 2003

Jan 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Smt.Nappinai,
This refers to Message No.4 in Digest Number 414,
entitled, Divya Desa Preface 4, where you have stated
as below:
"PS:"thamar ugandhadhu..." is a justification for
arca(idol)worship
which does not find a place in bAdArAyana's
brahmasUthra. So my dear
Ramanuja could not defend the "arca" worship(as one of
the five
manifestations of God) in his commentary on
brahmasUthra."
Your remark is thought-provoking. It strengthens my
belief that temples and idol worship were not in
vogue in times of Vedas, Upanishads or Itihasas.
These appear to be acretions of later periods.
Similarly, mutts do not appear to have existed in
ancient times.Sanyas was pracised in premordial times
and there were hermitages[As'ramas], but no
institutionalised mutts. Monastic order seems to be
the result of Buddhist influence. Traditions assert
that Sankara established mutts to propagate his faith.
All Sri Vaishnava Mutts have been established after
Sri Rmanuja came.
Your well-researched statement gives a clue to the
genius of Hinduism in evolving continuously new
traditions suited to the times and modes. As Kalidasa
said,
Pura'n'am iti eva na sa'dhu sarvam
Na c'a'pi ka'vyam navam iti avadyam
Santah pari'ksya anyatarat bhajante
Mu'dhah para pratyaneya buddhih
[It is not that all that is old is good and all that
is new is bad. The wise appreciate by examining the
issue. The unwise form opinion relying on others'
judgment.]
Regards,TCASrinivasaramanujan

http://www.acharya.org/vyakyanam/mumukshuppadi/index.html

> In addition, I have loaded the original text of
> Mumukshuppadi
> in tamil font at
> http://www.acharya.org/grantha/index.html
>
> The next prakaraNam is Dvaya PrakaraNam. If
> Thirumantram is
> mantra rAjam, Dvayam is mantra ratnam. Therefore, we
> still
> have a grand treasure waiting in front of us. adiyEn
> looks
> forward to starting that translation in the next few
> days.
>
> apacArAnimAn sarvAn kshamasva purushOttama
>
> adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
>
> --
>
> Sri Pillai Lokacharya's
> Mumukshuppadi
>
> Sutra:
> 115. Agath thirumanthraththAl, emperumAnukkE
> uriyEnAna nAn
> enakku uriyananRikkEyozhiya vENum; SarvasEshiyAna
> nArAyaNanukkE ellA adimaikaLum seyyap peRuvEnAga
> veNumenRathAyiRRu.
>
> Meaning:
> Thus, through the Thirumantra it is said that I who
> have
> servitude only to the Lord should avoid being
> enslaved to
> myself; I should gain doing every kind of service to
> Sriman
> Narayana who is the svAmi and natural recepient of
> this
> service.
>
> Sri PBA Swami's Sarartha Deepikai:
> Thus, the meanings of the Thirumantra are
> established.
>
> Pillai Lokacharyar Thiruvadigale Saranam
> Azhvar Emperumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Saranam
>
> adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
> TCA Venkatesan
>
> Mumukshuppadi Sarartha Deepikai Series:

http://www.acharya.org/vyakyanam/mumukshuppadi/index.html