You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jan 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00013 Jan 2004

Jan 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Respected devotees,

The significance of the colors of Thiruman and Sri:chu:rnam were explained to me as follows:

To strive towards the Good and to serve and realize God, human beings need to experience and express Love. In order that this Love truly brings benefit to God's Universe, it must not be born not out of mere mundane desire; but, should be the Divine Love that naturally emerges from inner peace and knowledge. This peace is expressed in the white color of the Thiruman, which is placed in its unique shape as a symbol of our having found peace in surrendering to the Feet of the Lord through the Mediation of the A:cha:rya. Divine Love emerges from this Peace, just as the Sri:chu:rnam emerges from its place within the Sri:chu:rnam. Since the universal color of love is red, the Sri:chu:rnam is usually reddish in color. The color is created by mixing turmeric powder and other ingredients with calcium carbonate, which according to sa:stras, is the material required to purify the turmeric such that it can be applied to the body. All the lines of this unique and sublime symbol of SriVaishnavam are pointed upwards, indicating that Peace and Love should be ever-growing in our mind and heart.

I have not been taught the reasons why the use of yellow Sri:chu:rnam has been adopted by many followers of the Vadakalai tradition. Perhaps others can shed further light on this.
adiye:n Ra:ma:nuja da:san
Mohan

Srinivasan Narayanan wrote:

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Red Srichoornam is used by both Vadakalai and Tenkalai Sampradayam. Yellow (manjal) is used only by people of Vadakalai sampradayam. I heard that Yellow (by vadakalai people) are to be used only if they had Baranyasam. Can any one tell me about this?

Dasan
Srinivasan

Kannan.P ( Sr.Executive - Systems - HDC) wrote:

Srimathe Ramanujaye Namaha
Srimathe Ranga Ramanujaye Namaha

Why Yellow and Red colours alone are used for Sricharanam and white for
ThiruNamam. I suppose yellow being the colour of Sri: it is used. Any other
reasons available . please clarify.

Adiyen
Srikrishna dasan

Home Page