You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jan 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00017 Jan 2004

Jan 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:

Red color denotes HIS love and grace Grace. (Thayar)
(1: HIghtens the beauty & color of the LORD : Red on White)

(On a side note)Red color reflects the least energy, and is yet the most
effective for
the Human eye, if interested please reply to adiyen i will explain via personal
mail)

The yellow color is also used by Vaikhanasas Vaishnavas who do not undergo
Bharanyasam, (They undergo panchasamskaram while in thier Mother's womb)
BOTH Yellow and Red Srichurnam are made of turmeric (unprocessed: yellow)
The yellow variety is not mere turmeric powder;
it undergoes certain process before it is applied on our skin.

The red variety is turmeric mixed with lime, and also processed.

There is very small (minute) significance in the different color,
despite arguments to the contrary.

For both parties in Pancharatra system: SriChurnam represents the
presence of Lakshmi.

Some Sri Vaishnavas of the Desika Sampradaya wear
yellow SrIChurnam. Some wear red.

All the Thengalai sampradaya wear red SrIChurnam.

These arguments on color of Srichurnam did not exist during
Ramanuja, Lokacharya, Vedanatacharya or Mamunigal's time.
(they would have mentioned this in some work)

So these are new developments (about 200 to 300 years)
in our age old sampradaya (Starting from the Lord Himself),

It has become common in recent times for some to argue
that yellow SriChurnam alone is correct for Vadakalai based
Sri Vaishnavas. And some Acharyas have started making this a
standard to enforce.

This is baseless, I have seen many families, who were wearing Red,
stating vehemently that is what their ancestors had adorned.
Then One fine day, they change to Yellow as their Acharya has
told them to Change. (Going against Andal's teachings "SeiiyaDhana Seiiyom")

I have seen orthodox, extremely devout and knowledgable
Vadakalai Sri Vaishnavas wear the RED Srichurnam.
(authentic photographs of the first 20 or 30 Ahobila Mutt, Parakala Matt swamis
)

(IMHO:There is nothing wrong in openly dicussing these with our acharyas, as
long as
this is done very humbly and with the intent to learn, authentic acharyas will
be happy to help)
(Aunthentic Acharyas and Vaishnavas are free of Anger so one can discuss and
learn openly)
(Our Purvacharyas have questioned and learnt a lot from questioning
as shown in GuruParampara Prabhavam 6000 padi)

(PS: Adiyen also had questions on when the Seperate ritual Bharanyasam started,
as there is no mention of this for any of our purvacharyas, even for Swami
VedantaDesikan,
his history records his first harcut to shikha to upanayannam etc, But No INFo
on
whom he got Bharanyasams from. (Or any other acharyas got their Bharanyasams
from)

One's personal practice should be dictated by family tradition.
If you know your father, grandfather used to wear red, stick with
what has been your family practice.
More details to follow, with Shastra proofs and personal reasearch

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list