You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jul 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00046 Jul 2003

Jul 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya nama:
Dear KK,
We can have misunderstanding even in direct communication let
alone email communication. Glad that you replied to clarify:-)

> 1. Most of the doubts will vanish with Lord's Krpaa & (right
> association (sat-sangam/bhaagavata sangam??) is required for that
> though.

True. It applies in academics too! If I have a doubt in Fluid
dynamics I have to ask a guy who is "fairly" good at it,I can't ask a
computer dude to clarify my doubts:-) This basic principle applies to
each and evry aspect of life.

> 2. The chatur-vedas in sanskrit are actually not all that
> important :)!!! We have to accept them only to the extent that it
> doesn't contradict our VishishThadvaita philosophy or prabandham.

You have misunderstood my intent. I'm not yet comfortable
with AcArya Hrdhayam as I'm with Sri Vacana BhUShaNam. So,I can't
quote off-handedly. Sri Azhagiya maNavALa perumAL nAyanAr very
clearly talks about this and I'll quote it tomorrow(as I don't have
the book with me right now). To say the truth,in my house we give
superior importance to NDP and infact my father cribs that 24 hrs is
not enough for NDP. BTW,interpretations can not be done according to
one's whims and fancies. It again depends on one's
mental/intellectual skills plus one should strictly restrict oneslef
to the subject matter concerned. I have heard that Adi Shankara
goes "out of" shruti to interpret shruti. That's how apaswaram enters
the scene.

> 3. The reason for Vedas are actually to inculcate
> daasatvam/seshatvam. Since shudras & women already have it, they
> don't need to study Vedas.

True(60-70%) according to me. This is the explanation
given by Sriman Lakshmi Narasimhan. It makes sense but how is it
valid in current day world? We come across feminists and other
females who fight for equal rights with men! Anyway I don't belong to
this group. As you said we can discuss this further! I do not know
how to generalise this. But I have seen lot of people belonging to
the last varNa,have more "vinayam" than people belonging to the first
three varNas. Infact I used to hate brahmins for not paying/treating
them properly. Later I realized that they can't be blamed either for
they have been fostered by their parents with wrong vedic knowledge.
I would safely say that still majority(atleast 60%) of women and
sudras have this trait and I doubt about the first three varNas. You
express your views along these lines and I will try to catch up with
you:-)

In this age,we see lot of divorces happening(in indian
community)due to the "low" tolerance level,ego problem because women
are getting financially independent as men are. So there are various
causes that can be attributed to negate #3. What I feel is that
whatever discrepanicies we see now in women,sudras or community as
such is a phase and it will automatically come back to its
equilibrium state. Mind you,I am ZERO in vedas as well as NDP. Don't
question me on technicalities. Just like you,I have lot of doubts in
vedas and I have written them down on a piece of paper and when I see
Sri Chinna Jeeyar,I'm going to request him to clarify my doubts.

You ask fundamental questions! The basic difference between
men and women. Even under the assumption that women are feminists,if
two women are put together they will somehow know about each other's
family story in brief. Where as two men would talk about every thing
other than family. I don't want to generalize this but I have noticed
this with my own eyes and ears many many many times. I used to wonder
how God has made the two species different! Leaving aside the vedas,
why there are no women experts in most of the fields??? You will see
couple of women in English literature,one female scientist like
Madame Curie. This world has not produced any women philospher. If I
remember, Srirangam SribhAShyam Narasimhachar swami said that
Ramanuja says in SBh commentary that women don't have the inherent
desire to learn. According to me,this is true to a great extent!

> we can safely eliminate #1, as I am a "lost soul" without Lord's
> mercy :)

This alone should increase your level of faith:-) So,is your slip in
faith due to reading some vedic books alone or association with some
atheists and agnostics or something different? I have lot of friends
who are atheists and agnostics. Couple of atheists have changed their
views wrt God after some heated discussions. So let me ask you a
simple question if you don't mind! What is your level of faith at
present?:-) Are you a true atheist,or true agnostic or a theist with
some confused thoughts/doubts in mind? You can also send mails to
nappinnai_nc@xxxx

Best Regards
AzhvAr emperumAnAr jIyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam
NC Nappinnai

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com