You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00018 Mar 2002

Mar 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SriMathe Ramanujaya Namaha:

Dear Venkat,

You have come up with valid suggession. There are quite few Ubhaya
Vedanthins who had and have been taking the initiative to translate from
tamil to other languages, infact this was started many years ago by Sri
U.Ve. P.B. Anangrachariar Swamy, there is no need to intorudce the greatness
of swamy. His works are uncomparable.

I am really fortunate to be able to read Telugu. H.H. Sri Tridandi
Srimanarayana Chinna Jeeyar swami's (JET) has published many books in Telugu
like Divya Prabandam, Sripathi Sthutimala, Gadyatrayams and many more...
Similarly I believe there are quite few books being published in Kannada
too.

I had seen a book (say translation Dictionary from tamil to english)
published by Sri Krishnamachary, Srirangam. The book is matchless in price
compared to its subject.

The entire Divya Prabandam's meaning is translated to English. For eg. If
you begin with Mudalairam

"pallaaNdupallaaNdu pallaayiraththaaNdu
palakOdin^ooRaayiram
mallaaNdathiN_thOLmaNivaNNaa! un
sevvadisevvithirukkaappu."

immediately after the above verse, you have the meaning in english. It's
written in such a simple way that even a kid can understand it easily.

As you said, this type of exertion is certainly needed for the benefit of
people like us, certainly at this juncture.

dAsan,
K.M. Shantha Kumar.

Subject: [ramanuja] English Translations of Books

SrI:
SrImatyaI GodayaI Nama:

Dear Bhagavathas,

This mail is regarding translation of Books of our Sampradayam
into english to reach a wider audience scattered outside tamilnadu.
Nowdays we have a large number of Srivaishnava families who have
settled outside Tamil Nadu notably in cities like Mumbai,Delhi,
Pune,Hyderabad,Bangalore etc apart from many countries around the
world.Many youngsters in these places grow up without getting an
opportunity to formally learn tamil as a subject,though in some major
Indian cities there are some provisions to learn tamil.

for someone like me (I was born and brought up in Western
India(Gujarat)) who did not have have an opportunity to learn tamil,it
means a limitation on accessing the works of our sampradayam which
are in tamil.Though one may try to learn tamil and pick up something at a
later stage the absence of a formal schooling makes it difficult to
understand even the simple works.

As more and more people continue to settle outside in increasing numbers
for the younger generation brought up in these cities,it severly restricts
the accessibility to the works of our sampradayam due to the language
barrier.Hence I request learned scholars to pursue something/think in the
direction for translating some important works/bringing out some
journals/periodicals in English of the same content & standard found in
the tamil ones.I think there is a large audience(scattered around India
and outside) who would be interested in procuring the English versions of
Books and periodicals.

adiyen Ramanuja dasan
venkat s iyengar

azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam