You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00021 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Priya Bhagawatas,
Jai Srimannarayana!

One of the most important part of Bhagawadaaraadhana either in
temples or home is the Saattumorai after Nyvedyam, which consists of
mangalasasanams to the Lord, Azhwars, Emberumaanaar and all the
Acharyas. This seva as desired by all our acharyas/jeeyars needs the
attendance of as many Bhagawatas as possible. All the core participants
in this goshti need to be attired appropriately with oordhwapundram,
yagnopaveetham, sikha etc. This Saattumorai seva has a special
significance especially in the most prominent divyadeshams like Tirumala
and Srirangam where the Jeeyar lead the goshti. In such cases the
attire of all the goshti members need to be perfect as per the vedic
vaishnava sampradayam. Thus a clean shaven head (Mottai/bowdigundu)
becomes a non-eligibility, as there is perfect reason for sporting the
sikha for a true vedic. Though the Jeeyars/sthanacharyas ignore
this particular aspect of sikha many a times while allowing people to
join the sattumorai goshti, of late the present revered Chinna jeeyar
swamiji of Tirumala is insisting on people to refrain from clean shaven
head and sport a sikha while joining the daily sattumorai goshti. The
revered swamiji is advising all the goshti members coming from various
parts of the country to tell their vedic friends not to go for a
'clean shaven head without a sikha', if interested to join the
sattumorai goshti. Clarifications regarding the importance of sikha and
the misgivings in clean shaven head are as follows

1. Hair on the head is compared to the infinite desires of the mind
of various kinds. But in that infinite desires are also included the
desires for the Lord. Thus our acharyas say all the desires are not
detrimental to the individual as long as they are tied up with the
desire for the Lord. To indicate this, our sampradayic-vedics always
keep most part of their hair tied up as a knot, to indicate that all
the desires are tied up along with the desires for the Lord.

2. When visiting divya kshetrams like Tirumala, one needs to shed all
the desires but the desire for the Lord Venkateswara should not be
removed. To indicate this when offering the head gear, all the hair
including the mustache (most important one which displays the macho
tendency undesirable before the Purushottaman) needs to be removed and a
sikha needs to be sported at an ideal place (which is regarded as
Brahmarandhram). demonstrating that the desire for the Lord is still
intact. Otherwise a clean shaven head (mottai or bowdigundu) indicates
that all the desires including the one for the Lord is also removed,
which is suicidal.

Jai Srimannarayana

Sarvaaparaadhamulato
Dr.Kilambi Ramakrishna Ramanuja Dasan

Subject: Re: [sv-rituals] head shave?

At 09:46 AM 3/5/03 +0530, you wrote:

>> I was advised by an elderly vaishavaite that vaishhnavaites should
>not get
>> their head shaved (mottai in Tamizh). Is any such thing is being
>said any
>> where in sacred texts? Or is any such mores being adopted? I have
>a prayer
>> with Lord Venkateshwara in Thiurumalai in pending. Can I go ahead
>with
>> offering my hair?

>> Learned scholars, please advice.

>> Thanx,