From: SundaraRajan Tirumanjanam [mailto:try_surangam@xxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 6:22 AM
To: Kannappa; Ramanuja internet; bhakti-list
Subject: daSa-avatAra sannidhi-s.

In my posting, I forgot to mention the location of the daSa-avatAra shrine
of the Gupta kings. The opening paragraph should read ~

"The most ancient and most beautiful of the daSa-avatAra (ten incarnations)
sannidhi-s is the one built at Deogarh included in to-day's district
Lalitpur (off Jhansi), Uttar Pradesh, by the kings of the Gupta dynasty
(circa 6th cent.AD) who styled themselves 'parama-bhAgavata'. This manner
of royalty dedicating itself to vaishNava worship had later-day echoes in
Travancore royalty (starting with Maharaja svAti-t-tiru-nAL) bearing the
name 'ananta-padmanAbha-dAsa', and the (Rajasthan) Kota rulers styling
themselves 'ranGa-dAsa'."

I am grateful to my elder brother Sri Tirumanjanam Kannan for pointing out
the omission. Both my brothers, Sri Kannan and Sri Satakopan, had visited
the Deogarh temple, and also the colossal SrivarAha in the caves of VidishA,
north of Bhopal.

I may add that they had also visited the Hariraj temple in district Chamba,
Himachal Pradesh, and worshipped the surpassingly beautiful Lord there.
The Lord is an integrated manifestation of four aspects in as many visages,
Vaikuntha (Narayana), Varaha, Narasimha and Kapila. This iconography, known
as vaikuNTha-chatur-mUrti, is in accordance with the (pAncha-rAtra)
jayAkhya-samhitA (6:73), and was developed in the time of the Guptas.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja-dAsan,
T.S. Sundara Rajan,
at Srirangam.