You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00066 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Sri Vimal,
Like Varadhan said, it is very good to see somebody showing interest
in understanding the meanings of the dhivya prabhandhams.
Once we understand it makes so much sense and we get more interested
in delving deeper. Let me just add to what Varadhan had written about
the usage of "minE", "vanE" and "dhumE" vigudhis (suffixes) to the
verbs.

n^IN^gaL (You all) kooRu"minE" ; Second person, plural
n^An (I ) kooRu"vanE" ; First person, singular
n^AN^gaL (we all) kooRu"dhumE"; First person, plural

The easier way to use the appropriate suffix is by looking for whom
the AzhvAr addresses. The following examples highlight the addressee
and the appropriate suffix.

"minE"
------
4. "Edu nilaththil...koodu manam udaiyeer (those of you all with an
^^^^^^^^
intention to join us) ... vandhu pallANdu kooRuminE"

5. "aNdak ... thoNdak kulatthil uLLeer ... pallAyiraththANdu enminE"
^^^^^^

"vanE"
-----
8. "neyyidai ... ennai (talking about Himself) kooRuvanE"
^^^^^
11. "alvazhakku ... naanun unakku (talking about Himself) kooRuvanE"
^^^^^^

"dhumE"
------
3. "vaazhat... pugudhalottOm (we won't let you in) ... kooRudhumE"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
6. "enthai thanthai... cheykinROm (We are doing) ... kooRudhumE"
^^^^^^^^^^
7. "thIyir... cheykinROm (We are doing)... kooRudhumE"

Hope this helps.

adiyEn,
-Viji
(Vijay Triplicane)