You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00081 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya nama:
Dear Sriman Lakshmi Narasimhan & other bhAgavathAs,

CAUTION:I haven't listened to any bhagavad viShaya.

Accept my pranams. With my little knowledge in thamizh and
analytical reasoning I would say that the word "enganE" also accounts
for mistakes committed while chanting. Let us assume that it's only
HOW EVER and not WHAT EVER as per your word. Even in that
case,mistakes are allowed(the english word accounts for that. Sri
soundararajan chanted NDP incorrectly;however the Lord enjoyed it-
Dear Soundararajan,please forgive me for taking your case as an
example:-)) and it does not harm the person who chants incorrectly
nor does he have to do any prAyasciththam(it's like aShtAkshari). It
is actually shaTakOpa but in thamizh we pronounce it as sadagopan
even while chanting. When this mistake is allowed why can't other
mistakes be allowed?

Even when singing it,it may convey a different message
because most singers(Rev. Balamurali Krishna and couple of others are
exceptions)pause at all wrong places to maintain the "raaga". My
father(who is very good in written and spoken telugu)cribs that my
cousin(who is a disciple of the disciple of Sri Chemmangudi) spoils
the beautiful meaning of thyagaraja krtis by splitting at odd places
and my cousin says that it is done so(and very common)to maintain the
raaga). Consider the famous krti with intense emotion
(AbhEri) "nagumOmu ganalE ninajAli thelisi" (telugu speakers,please
forgive my telugu) and many sing it as "nagumO mOganalEni najAli
thelisi". One popular tamil musician(he may not know telugu)
sings "bantu rIthi koluvu" as "pandu(fruit) rIthi" and we get a
different meaning which is out of context. It is like putting a pause
at the wrong place in Ramanuja nURRandhAdhi:7(pazhiyaik kadaththum
irAmAnusan pugazhpAdi allA* vazhiyaik kadaththal enakku ini yAdhum
varuththamanRE-- which would sound weird to the person who knows the
in-depth meaning--instead of pazhiyaik kadaththum irAmAnusan
pugazhpAdi* allA vazhiyaik kadaththal...anRE). In other words,in "HOW
EVER" way also meaning can get distorted which is also a mistake.
Even if one chants perfectly knowing the hidden meanings,in this
mundane world/kali yuga, one can not say with 100% certainty that
mind was only thinking about God and nothing else. So I feel
that "HOW EVER" or "WHAT EVER"(with mistakes) way NDP is recited,the
Lord still enjoys. But our intention should be to better ourselves
wrt chanting it correctly(try to avoid mistakes as much as we can)
with bhAva. Please feel free to correct me.

AzhvAr EmperumAnAr JIyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam
NC Nappinnai

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com