You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00080 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Shrimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Dear Shri Swami,
Thanks for the explanation.

Even if we take the word by word literal translation, Engane-in
whatever way <-- Engane means HOW EVER and not whatever. As Smt
Nappinnai pointed out, would mean, singing, or chanting or reciting
or even shuffling of the ten pasurams(not reciting necessarily in the
andhadhi order). But based on my little knowledge of tamil, I doubt
whether it could be used as "even if it is wrong" or "with mistakes".

Moreover, if we take the word by word translation, we see that Ahzwar
is propogating that his songs would give happiness in whatever way it
is recited - which would become a subjective discussion i.e from
Azhwar's Perspective. That is why, I am afraid to take up a word by
word translation. "Ingane Sonna Oraayiratthippatthu" does not
literally mean these ten pasurams, but the contents and the meanings.
And hence, "Engane sollinum Inbam Payakkume", seen from an Objective
perspective, would mean, whether you tell in your own words, or use
these words or shuffle or HOWEVER, the object would be lord Shriman
Narayanan and hence it would give happiness - is what needs to be
understood.

Kindly correct me if I was mistaken. Please don't hesitate to point
out my mistakes. I would be glad to correct them. Once again, thanks
for the explanation.

Yatheendra Pravanam Vandhe RAMYA Jamataram Munim

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan
--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Srinivasaramanujan TCA <tcasr@xxxx>
wrote:
> Respected Sri Lakshmi Narasimhan,
> While Bhagavad Vishayam is amenable to a variety of
> interpretations, the meaning of Tiruva'imozhi 7-9-11
> appears to be unequivocal about the method of
> recitation.
> Angane-accordingly
> Kandu-having found
> Ingum angum-everywhere
> Tiuma'l andr'i-except Sriman Narayana
> Inmai-nothing;
> Orayirattu - among one thousand
> Ippattum-these ten verses
> Sonna-as composed
> Ingane-in this way
> Van Kurukur Sadagopan-[By]Van Kurukur Sadagopan;
> Engane-in whatever way
> Sollilum-recited
> Payakkum-will give
> Inbam-pleasure
> The context points to the composition by Nammazhar.
> Adiyen,TCASrinivasaramanujan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com