To: "nappinnai"
Subject: recitation of prabhandham
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 07:35:24 +0530

Dear nappinnai, I had sent the following message a few days back to ramanuja
group. I dont think this has been included in the
ramanuna-message-digest.Hence, forwarding a copy for your information
RECITATION:thiru-mAlai 45 " iLaiya pun kavidhaiElum empirArkiniyavARE". swAmi
periya vAchAn piLLai :" iLaiya pun kavidhai- sabtathil ilamaiyum, kavithvathil
kuRRam vuNdEyAgilum-ilasAi, pulliya kaviyE Agilum;empirArku iniyavARE:
empirAnukku inidhAi irukkumiRE; prajaigaLudiya mazhalaich chol thamappanArukku
inidhAi irukkumiRE.ivvugaputhAnE purushArtham. ivan sathai peRugai Avadhu -avan
prEthikku kaithodum engai.ip-prabhandham kaRRArku palam
sollAdhozhindhadhu-ivvugapputhAnE avargaLukku palam AgaiyAlE; ivAzhwArai
vugandhArpOlE ipprabhandham kaRRAraiyum periya perumAL vugandharuLum engai."
Though, the psalm by thondar-adip-podi AzhwAr is not strong in poetic sense or
otherwise the Lord will enjoy it. How? Like a father enjoying the
mazhalaich-chol of His child. This enjoyment of the Lord is what we are aiming
for. Is it not kainkaryam which we are aiming for? True, but even that
kainkaryam is for His enjoyment. Why did thondar adip-podi AzhwAr did not tell
any palam for this prabhandham? Since, the Lord enjoys this prabhandham, this
enjoyment itslef is the end result of this prabhandham. That may be true for
thondar-adip-podi-AzhwAr -the author of this prabhandham, but for us?Even for
people like us, who have learnt this prabhandham, the Lord enjoys and blesses,
is the essence of this.vAnamAmalai padmanAbhan