You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00119 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

> The purpose of chanting is for chanting and not for any benefit.
> Does it not run contrary to our principles?

Dear Swami,
I am also a little confused, but from the other side:) The Pala-
Shruthi(the one that takes about the benefits of those who recite) of
the Sahasra Namam says the following:

Vedanthako Brahmanasyat Kshatriyo Vijayee Bhaveth |
Vaishyo Dhana Samvruddhasyath Kshudra sukham avaapnuyath ||

It also continues with

Dharmarthi cha aapnuyaath dharmam...
Kamanuvapnuyath kami...

Meaning: If the Brahmins recite this Sahasranamam(daily) they would
master the Vedam, while the Kshatriyas would be victorious all the
times. The Vaishyas get more wealth while the Kshudra attain
happiness all the time. For a person who follows the dharmam, so can
he all the time, while those who are interested in the kamam may
attain the fruits of the same.

If the purpose of chanting is for chanting and not for any benefit,
then why do we have the pala-shruti? I request the learned scholars
to clarify.

For prapannas, I think the idea is that, the palam(fruit) would
itself be the kainkaryam that they want to do for the supreme and
this would be given to them as a result of reciting them(though the
intent of the prapanna wouldn't be to attain this result). It is the
same "INTENT" vs "RESULTS". While the prapannan concentrates on the
former and doesn't bother about the latter, others do it vice-versa,
which is my guess. I may be wrong in which case, please accept my
sincere apologies.

MY only point is that, Shri Jeeyar swami would have mentioned the
results, which is a fact i.e the phala sruthi also says as follows:

Rogarthee Muchyathe rogath, baddho mucchetha bandhanaath |
Bayaan muchyetha beethasthu mucchyetha banna aapathaha ||

Meaning: The diseased ones get relief from the illness, while those
who want revelation attain the relief from the materialistic
bindings, so is it for those who are afraid all the time, the bayam
goes away.

But, that post does not describe about the intent. The concept of
illness going away etc are just the results.

Adiyen RAmanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "padmanabhan" <aazhwar@xxxx> wrote:
> Dear srEvaishNavites,
> stars and slOkas-vishNu sahasra-
nAmam
> It is good to foster chanting of vishNu sahasra-namam. I do not
understand
> the concept of correlating stars to chanting. The purpose of
chanting is for
> chanting and not for any benefit. Kindly clarify. Does it not run
contrary
> to our principles?
> vAnamAmalai padmanAbhan

Home Page