You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00041 Mar 2004

Mar 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha
Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Paasuram-11

"vAzhththugavAi kAngakaN kEtkasevi makudam

thAzhththi vaNangumingal thaNmalarAl-soozhiththa

thuzhAimannu neeNmudiyen thollaimAl thannai

vazhAvaNkai koopi madhiththu."

In this paasuram azhvar instructs others to divert the sense organs that are
provided for the purpose of service towards that holy lord who is so easily
attainable by one and all.

(vAzhththugavAi) "sA jihvA yA harim stowthi" That which sings the praise of
hari is regarded as tongue ("nA"). So praise him with that tongue, the sole
purpose of the tongue's existence being singing his greatness.

(kAnga kaN) We have two eyes, For What? Emperuman blessed us with two eyes to
enjoy his divya mangala roopam. So see the lord with your eyes.

(kEtka sevi) Our ears have been provided to listen to his greatness and hence
listen to the talk about his kalyana gunas, the greatness of his namas and also
about his sEshtithangal (divine acts).

(makudam thAzhththi vaNangumingal) Our head is bound to bow before the
almighty. So use the head provided to show your gratitude towards the lord.

(vaNangumingal thaNmalarAl) While you go to prostrate the divine lord, don't go
with open hand. Take some divine flowers that will create coolness to the
divine thirumeni of emperuman and fall to his feet.

(malarAl) There is no restriction on which flower you have to take for his
pooja. Whichever flower is available you can take it for the lord provided you
take the same with devotion and deep love towards him. "kallAr thuzhAyum
kaNavalarum koovalaiyum mullAr mulariyum Ambalum kaNdakkAl" When ever you see
any flower imagine how it would be if it is adorned by the divine lord and take
it to his sannadhi with love.

GeethAcharyan declares with his own words,

"pathram pushpam palam thOyam yO mE bhakthyA prayachchathiI

tathaham bhakthyupahrutham asnAmi prayadhAthmana:"

[Whether it is a leaf, or a flower, or a fruit, or just water if a person gives
me the same with bhakthi I accept the same given to me with clean heart and
love with great happiness.]

Azhvar says, "purivadhuvum pugai poovE".

Next azhvar says about the lord so as to invoke us to prostrate in his divine
feet.

(soozhththa thuzhAi mannu) Adorning the thulasi garland is the greatest
identification to the supreme lord (sarvAdhikan), as the lord always likes
adorning the same.

(thuzhAi mannu neeNmudi) "thOlinai mElum nanmArbinmElum sudarmudimElum
thAliNaimElum punaindha thaNNanthuzhAiyudaiyammAn". 'NeeNmudi' indicates to the
divine crown of emperuman, the sarva lOka nAyakan (king of kings)

"AdirAjyam adhikam bhuvanAnAm eesa! thE pisunayan kila mowli:" -
kooraththAzhvan.

(en thollai mAl thannai) the one who is being praised by me. Another
identification for the Adipurushan sarvEshvaran is being the one who is
prostrated by thirumazhisai Azhvar.

mAl- periyOn (respectable person, elderly person, superior) Or the one who has
had a special love towards me from the time adiyen was filled with the darkness
of ignorance (mAl-anban)

(vazhA vaN kai koopi) without any change fold your charitable hands. "vudArAs
sarva A-vaiththE" says the geethAcharyan in his bhagavat geetha [those who
prostrate me these people are filled with generosity (vudArargal)]. Whether
they fall to his feet for money or happiness it doesn't matter, emperuman feels
happy that atleast for that they fall to his feet rather than going at the back
of other sudhra devatas and common people.

(thollaimAl thannai madhiththu vaNangumingal) Think about the lord with the
mind given to meditate on him and then fall to his feet. PeriyavAchan pillai in
his commentary says, "sarvEshvaranudaiya thirunAmaththai mArAmal ninaiththu" so
fall to his feet with the meditation and utterance of divine names of bhagavan.

(makudam thAzhththi vanaNgumingal) leave all your ahankara mamakAras and fall
to his feet. Due to your ego and pride your head is heavy like being crowned so
prostrate the lord leaving your entire ego.

The rishis explain the purpose of the sense organs as follows:

"vichiththrA dEhasampaththi EswarAya nivEdhithum I

poorvamEva kruthA brahman hasthapAdhAdhi samyudhA II" and the mudal azhvars
repeat the same as

"vAyavanai alladhu vAzhththAdhu kaiyulagam

thAyavanai alladhu thAm thozhA-pEymulainanju

vooNAga vundAn vuruvodu pErallAl

kAnAkaN kElA sevi".

(To be continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia