You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00057 Mar 2004

Mar 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Madhuri and Mohan <m_raghavan@xxxx>
wrote:
> Dear Madhusudhanan,
>
> Neither prapatti nor the formal practice of Bhakthi Yo:ga can
assure
> anyone of mo:ksha. Mo:ksha is solely the gift of the Lord Himself,
out
> of His Boundless Compassion, and only at a time when He feels that
an
> invidual is ready for it.

Dear Srimn Mohan,

While we need not be bothered about both prapatti and bhakti as
upAyas, I have one doubt out of academic interest.

If we look into SrImad bhAgavatam and history, many people who
practised bhakti yOga (though not as upAya - according to our school
of thought) are not brahimns. Even today, vaishNavas of other schools
of thought, for whom bhakti is an upAya, are not necessarily
brahimns. Then how do we say only brahmin males are fit for it?

dasan
Vishnu

> The challenge with Bhakthi Yo:ga is that it can only belong to a
few,
> namely qualified Brahmin males who are well-suited to live a life
> of
> strict discipline, meditation, and practice; those with the
tenacity to
> be able to forsake material comforts and wordly obligations and
focus
> only on the goal of achieving salvation, despite the knowledge that
such
> salvation can only be given at the time the Lord feels that one is
> ready. Needless to say, this path is filled with many obstacles
and
> hardships, and is virtually impossible in this day and age.
> Consequently, prapatti is afforded to everyone, irrespective of
race,
> caste, or gender, as the only method for one seeking Connection to
the
> Divine.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia