You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00109 Nov 2004

?punyAmbOja vikAsAya pApadvAndvashayAyaca

SrimAn Avirabhoobhoomau rAmAnuja diwAkara:?

Like how a sun rise eliminates the completeness darkness, the birth of Swami
Ramanujar has eliminated the darkness in all of us in this kali yugam. He is
known as ?Maran Adi Panindhu Uyindhavan?. After his worship of Nambi, Swami
Ramanujar was stopped by Nambi. Nambi requested to have Thirumandra upadesam
from Swami Ramanujar. Hence he took the form of a sishyan and got the
Rahasyatraya upadesam from Swami Ramanujar. Thirukkurungudi Nambi became a
SriVaisnhnava Nambi with the sambandham of Swami Ramanujar.

In other instance, Swami Ramanujar was on the Kerala side of mahendragiri hill.
Due to Nambi?s sankalpam, when he woke up early in the morning he was on the
Thirukkurungudi side. After taking bath in karandam Adu Poigai, he applied
Thirumann on his forehaead, and called his sishyan Vaduga Nambi to use the
reamaining Thrumann. It was the usual practice for him. Vaduga Nambi was a
great sishyan of Swami Ramanujar. He did not know anyone other than Ramanujar.
Manavala Mamunigal has sung the following on the speciality of Vaduga Nambi,

?Vaduga Nambi than nilai enakkarul yatirAsA?

Vaduga Nambi was still on the Kerala side. Thirukkurungudi Nambi took the form
of Vaduga Nambi and applied the thirumann from Ramanujar. After a while, Swami
Ramanujar could not see Vaduga Nambi. When he worshipped Thirukkurungudi Nambi,
he could make out from Nambi?s smile that it was actually Thirukkurungudi Nambi
who took that form. What a great opportunity for Thirukkurungudi Nambi?

Here we can see a loop theory. Starting from Nammazhwar and ending in the
sambandham again with the Thiruvadi of Nammazhwar. There are verses in vedas
that say Perumal is complete, any portion of Him is complete and all. This
could very well apply to our Guru Parampara. Wherever we take and wherever we
end, the anubhavam is complete. There is no difference at all in this aspect.

Swami Ramanujar established a mutt called Thirukkurungudi mutt here. The Jeeyar
is called as Perarulala Jeeyar. Currently 49th pattam Jeeyar is in the mutt.
The first Jeeyar of the mutt was from the vamsam of Periya Nambigal, who was
the Acharyan of Ramanujar. Due to sambandham of Ramanujar, Thirukkurungudi in
south of Tamilnadu has got links with ThiruNarayanapuram (Melkote). Due to the
need for kaimkaryam, Swami Ramanujar sent few people from Thirukkurungudi to
Melkote. Even today, we can see Thirukkurungudi dAsargal in Melkote.

Four Azhwars have done mangalasasanam to Thirukkurungudi Nambi. There are
totally 40 pasurams for Him.

Thirumazhisai Azhwar - 1

PeriyAzhwar - 1

Nammazhwar - 13

Thirumangai Azhwar - 25

Let us enjoy some of the anubhavams of Azhwars in the next few postings,

aDiyEn,

ramanan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM