You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00109 Nov 2005

Dear srivaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Here is a part of mahaa bhaaratham translation read by me today. [Translation
by Kesary Mohan Ganguly which is available in internet]

Since it was a coincidence that sri sukumar raised a point on the 'sri vathsa
vakshase nama' where he adds -- quote "Which one we should believe in this
context (if my thoughts are not unfounded) - sruti (which refutes this) or
purana / smriti (which details this incident)?". Unquote.

I replied "Also wherever certain matters as found in sruti is not clear and
appears confronting, we turn to puraanaas to get clarifications - or
explanations for such portions. That is the very purpose of these elaborate
puraanams. Also in each puraanam as the title goes, the hero of that puraanam
is glorified. That does not mean others are useless or less capable than the
hero".

See here the glory of krishNa is being said by sanjaya, the charioteer and
confident aide of king dhritharaashtra, who was also sent as a ambassador of
peace before the start of maha bhaaratha war for 18 days.

Why I add that to the lists, dear bhakthaas, is that it reads like a 'part sri
vishNu sahasra naamam with commentary' by sanjaya and not bheeshma [the SVSN of
bheeshma lord himself relished].

Part of section 69 of udhyOga parvam of mahaa bhaaratham
[spelling here and there modified by me since  it reads like Shakespearean
English saying sitteth doeth etc]
- quote
Dhritharashtra said, 'Tell me, O Sanjaya, of that path without terrors by
which, obtaining HrisheekEsa, salvation may be mine.'

Sanjaya said, 'A man of uncontrolled mind can by no means know Janaardhana
whose soul is under perfect command. The performance of sacrifices without
controlling one's senses is even no means to that end. Renunciation of the
objects of our excited senses is due to spiritual light; both spiritual light
and abstention from injury arise doubtless from true wisdom. Therefore, O king,
resolve to subdue thy senses with all possible vigour; let not thy intellect
deviate from true knowledge; and restrain thy heart from worldly temptations
that surround it. Learned Brahmanaas describe this subjugation of the senses to
be true wisdom; and this wisdom is the path by which learned men proceed to
their goal. O king, KEsava is not obtainable by men who have not subdued their
senses. He that has subdued his senses, desires spiritual knowledge, awakened
by the knowledge of scriptures and the pleasure of Yaaga-absorption.'

SECTION 70

Dhritharashtra said, 'I request thee, O Sanjaya, to tell me again of the
lotus-eyed Krishna; for, by being acquainted with the import of his names, I
may, O son, obtain that most exalted of male beings.'

Sanjaya said, 'The auspicious names (of KEsava) have been previously heard by
me. Of those I will tell thee as many as I know.
        *       KEsava, however, is immeasurable, being above the power of
speech to describe.
        *       He is called VaasudhEva in consequence of his enveloping all
creatures with the screen of illusion, or of his glorious splendour, or of his
being the support and resting-place of the gods.
        *       He is called Vishnu because of his all-pervading nature.
        *       He is called Maadhava, O Bhaaratha [addressing the king while
talking], because of his practicing as a Muni, concentration of mind on truth
and Yoga-absorption.
        *       He is called Madhusoodhana because of his having slain the
Asura Madhu, and also because of his being the substance of the 24 objects of
knowledge.
        *       Born of the Saaththwatha race, he is called Krishna because he
unites in himself what are implied by the 2 words Krishi which signifies 'what
exists' and Na which signifies 'eternal peace'.
        *       He is called Pundareekaaksha from Pundareeka implying his high
and eternal abode, and Aksha implying 'indestructible';
        *       And he is called Janaardhana because he strikes fear into the
hearts of all wicked beings.
        *       He is called Saththwatha, because the attribute of Saththwa is
never dissociated from him and also because he is never dissociated from it;
        *       And he is called Vrishabhaakshana from Vrishabha implying the
'Vedas' and eekshana implying 'eye', the union of the 2 signifying that the
Vedas are his eyes, or the Vedas are the eyes through which he may be seen,
        *       That conqueror of hosts is called Aja, or unborn', because he
hath not taken his birth from any being in the ordinary way.
        *       That Supreme Soul is called DhaamOdhara because unlike the gods
his effulgence is increate and his own, and also because he hath self-control
and great splendour.
        *       He is called HrisheekEsa, from Hrisheeka meaning 'eternal
happiness' and eesa meaning 'the 6 divine attributes', the union signifying one
having joy, happiness, and divinity.
        *       He is called Mahaabaahu, because he upholds the earth and the
sky with his 2 arms.
        *       He is called AdhOkshaja, because he never falls down or suffers
any deterioration,
        *       And is called NaarayaNa from his being the refuge of all human
beings.
        *       He is called PurusOththama from Puru implying 'he that creates
and preserves' and so meaning 'he that destroys, the union signifying one that
creates, preserves, and destroys the universe'.
        *       He possesses a knowledge of all things, and, therefore, is
called Sarva,
        *       Krishna is always in Truth and Truth is always in him, and
GOvindha is Truth's Truth. Therefore, he is called Sathya.
        *       He is called VishNu because of his prowess,
        *       and JishNu because of his success.
        *       He is called Anantha from his eternity,
        *       And GOvindha from his knowledge of speech of every kind.

He makes the unreal appear as real and thereby beguiles all creatures.
Possessed of such attributes, ever devoted to righteousness, and endued with
divinity, the slayer of Madhu, that mighty-armed one incapable of decay, will
come hither for preventing the slaughter of the Kurus." ---- unquote.

Perhaps, I think I may not be wrong, if I say, that, later commentators of sri
vishNu sahasra naamam taken portions of what is described here and to that
extent their job is made easy.

Read and enjoy again and again.

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.