You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00127 Nov 2005

SrI:

Dear Sri Pritesh, Jai Shri Krishna!! I guess you answered most of your questions yourself. This is total personal ramblings from my side, kindly excuse anything untenable:

As for Bhaja gOvindam, I guess I would have a problem as Sri Sankara talks about merging with the brahman (brahma padam tvam harati viditva) - which is against the tenets of Srivaishnavism. I don't know much about meera bhai bhajans, as I am from South India. For singing, I would totally go for ISKCON Bhajans on Lord Krishna, as the mood is totally surrender to God, for example, the Bhajan that starts with the words, "Bhaja hure Mana.." is excellent to sing and meditate upon (although I am not sure if I would sing songs glorifying Sri Caitanya, as he is not our AchArya).

It is important to know the meanings of the bhajans one renders, as it elevates the mood, and it also increases bhakthi. I like Swami PrabhupAdA's example about a bhajan being sung by a non-devotee is similar to milk being touched by the mouth of a serpent.

Ideally Speaking:
1) We should try to sing only songs of Vaishnava devotees
2) One should sing a bhajan not for his/her joy, but for the joy of the Lord.
3) Songs of Saint ThyAgarAja, Oothukkadu etc, are not desirable as they either glorify God as an impersonal entity, or have also sung on other demigods.
4) I would definitely avoid bhajan performances by Cinema artistes (which are ironically popular). Maybe for time-pass yeah, but not as a source of Bhakti/Inspiration.
5) Last but not least, I saw MS Subbulakshmi performing Arthi to Saibaba on some TV channel and I gave up. Call it fate, but she had even renditioned Gadhyatrayam which talks about total surrender to Lord Sriman nArAyanA. I fail to understand.

Again, most of the above is my personal observation, slightly influenced by the ideas of Swami Prabhupada of ISKCON.

Jai Shri Krishna!!
-adiyEn.

tesh_tel <tesh_tel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
JAi Shri Krishna, Im am very clear on the vaishnava Standpoint on
worshiping Anydevtas (demigods).  However what is the viewpoint on
Singing Hyms of Bhagavan that have been Composed my poets and
Acharayas outside of the Sri Vaishnava Samapradaya??????????

Now I will have serios problems with singing Hyms to Srimannarayan
which are of an Advaitic/mayavada tone as this contradicts the basic
Sidhanata of Ramanuja.  I also see the objection of Singing  hyms
which have been composed by Bogus gurus who are in reality criminals
(such as saibaba of putarpathi).  However Sri shankaracharaya even
though he propounded mayavada, wrote various stotras which praise
the lord in a very personal way (such as Bhaja Govindam,
Jaganathashtakam, Krishnashtakam etc.......).  Also being a
Gujerati , i enjoy the Bhajans of Meera Bai and Narsinh Mehta, and
from my basic understanding of Gujerati, there appears to be nothing
in these bhajans which contradicts The teachings of Sriramanuja.

Jai Shri Krishna!!

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

Bhagavad gita Culture Ways of
Successor Sri

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS