You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00139 Nov 2005

The signature, in 'grantha' script, is in the colophon of the palm-leaf manuscript of 'stOtra-ratnam' (ALavandAr-stOtram), available with the Vengipuram family who are the traditional 'archaka' of YatirAja Ramanuja shrine in Melkote / tiru-nArAyaNa-puram, Dist. Mandya, Karnataka.   The ALavandAr 'taniyan' ["yat-padAmbhO-ruha-dhyAna..."] was composed by the YatirAja  'sArva-bhauma', and is recited at the start of the profound 'stOtra-ratnam', and it is perfectly credible that the manuscript is in the hand of the blessed AchArya himself.

Supplementary information.    The 'grantha' script had been reportedly devised by the Jaina-s in the time (6-7th cent. AD?) of Mahendra-varma Pallava of Kanchi, so as to accommodate the Sanskrit phonemes.  This was in currency in all of our temple lithic inscriptions, and palmleaf and paper manuscripts, right down to the 1940s.  To-day's Devanagari was perfected in Maharashtra, having evolved from the brAhmi script.

My elder brother Sri tiru-manjanam Kannan had photographed this palm-leaf around 1989 or so.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja-dAsan,
tirumanjanam Sundara Rajan.

Pattangi <danp@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I received this picture from sri TA Varadan swamin this afternoon, with the Signature of our Swami Emberumanar.

If any of you have any information on this picture or
any information about this signature and its authenticity,
adiyen would be much obliged.

Image is at:
http://radioramanuja.com/acharyas/ramanuja/ethiraja.jpg

Azhvar Emberumanar Jeeyar ThiruvadigalE sharanam

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Mukundan Vangkipuram Pattangi

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

Bhagavad gita Culture Ways of
Successor Sri

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS