You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00140 Nov 2005

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy Thirumangai AzhwArs wonderful
verses on Thiruvenkatamudiayaan.

kalayaami kalidhvamsam kavim lOkadhivaakaram
yaSya kObi: prakaaSaabir aavidhyam niHatham thama:

I meditate on the Poet, who is like the Sun for the
whole world, to destroy the darkness of ignorance
(a~jnAnam) with his word and who destroys the Kali
dhOsham.

ThirumangaiAzhwAr proceeds to plead the Lord of
TirumalA for His unbounded limitless mercy that pours
out on His own -out of His Greatest compassion on us.
Let us enjoy this nice ten on AzhwAr's plea.

sEyanaNiyan enasinNdhaiyuLnNinRa
maayan, maNivaaLoLi veNdaraLangkaL,
vEyviNdudhir vEngkadamaamalaimEya,
aayanadiyalladhu maRRaRaiyEnE.     1.10.8

The Lord- Em perumaan- the One who is at the farthest
distance
(inaccessible at all) for non-bhakthas- the One who is
very easily accessible for His bhakthAs, with a mere
desire to seek Him; the Most wonderful Lord (because)
for He has decided (out of His own will) to stay in my
heart too; The One who shows Himself so beautifully at
TirumalA, where the most precious and valuable diamond
stone, pearls, are all simply dropping from the
breakage of bamboo tree stems and scattered all over
the mountains (because of which also its lustre gets
manifolded)- Such Greatest Lord is
ThiruvEmkatamudaiyaan- Srinivasan-
Cowherd boy, KaNNan- whose Lotus Feet only do I know
and I know of NOTHING ELSE. AzhwAr expresses his
anangagathithvam [having no other recourse except His
Lotus Feet]

Sri KoorattthAzhwAn mentions the same in Sri vaikuNta
sthavam:
kim bhUyasaa pralapithEna ? yadhEva kimchith
pApAhvam alpam uru vaa tadhasEsham yEsha:
jAnan na vaa sathasahasra parArdhakruthvO
yOakArsham yEnam agathim krupayA kashamasva

Oh Bhagavann! What is the use of my meaningless
utterances ? adiyEn has accumulated paapams beyond
counts
hundreds and thousands of times over the aeons
consciously or without knowing . adiyEn is pulled
under the weight of all these big and small bundles of
sins . adiyEn has no recourse except you .You must
forgive me and lift me out of my miseries out of your
infinite and intrinsic guNam of Dayaa .

In the earlier verse, KurEsar had the adhikAri
Svaroopam of aakinchanyam (sense of Meekness). In this
slOkam, KurEsar states his ananyagathithvam (not
having any one as recourse to save him ). He echoes
Swamy AlavanthAr's moving plea : akinchanO- anyagathi:
SaraNya ! Thvath Paadhamoolam SaraNam PrapadhyE!
KulasEkhara AzhwAr's paasurams on VitthuvakkOttammAn (
Taru thuyaram tadAyEl) dealing with ananyagathithvam
also form the basis for this slOkam.

It fits with our PoorvAchAryA's prayer: "agathim
SaraNAgatham HarE krupayA kEvalamAthmasAth kuru.

Thirumangai AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan

http://mail.yahoo.com