You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00193 Nov 2005

Humble pranam to all devotees.

Vimal Kumar Ranganathan said -

Yet, one should not consider that it is the chanting
that takes one to VaikunthA.
It is the Lord who takes us to VaikunthA (out of his
causeless mercy, or Nir-hEtuka Kripa)

The Gaudiya Vaisnava philosophy stresses on the
non-difference of the Lord from His name. Does that
not automatically mean chanting His name leads to
attaining His abode? What does the Sri Vaisnava
philosophy say about chanting the names of the Lord in
this connection?

Sri Sampath Kumar very rightly pointed out that the
chanting of the names of the Lord should not be done
with any motive other than to serve (please) Him.

- Bharath
--- ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <panardasan@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> sri:
> Humble pranam to all devotees:
>
> Yes, we can chant the Hare Krishna mantra.
>
> Chanting the holy names of the Lord is very much a
part of our Sampradayam. Sri Thondaradippodi AzhwAr's
ThirumAlai is all about Chanting His names (Almost all
the AzhwArs, except maybe ThiruppAnAzhwAr have echoed
similar thoughts). Our PoorvAchAryAs have not
explicitly mentioned about the Hare Krishna Maha
Mantra, but the Kalisantarana Upanishad has explicitly
mentioned the Hare Krishna Mahamantra. It is supposed
to be a powerful Mantra.

>   Yet, one should not consider that it is the
chanting that takes one to VaikunthA. It is the Lord
who takes us to VaikunthA (out of his causeless mercy,
or Nir-hEtuka Kripa).

>   Chanting the "Om namo nArAyanAya" mantram can be
performed formally only after taking the
Panchasamskaram (Initiation) from a Srivaishnava
AchAryA.

>   Personally, I like the Hare Krishna maha mantram,
as it is easy to sing with tunes, the meters are
perfect. It is a very big advantage for the ISKCON
movement, as it is simple, elegant and attracts
everyone, because of the music and the beats. If one
looks at the history of ISKCON, Swami PrabhupAdA began
his movement just by singing the Hare Krishna Mantra
with a drum in the middle of a crowded park, the rest
as they say is history.

>   On a seperate note, I am still amazed by his
confindence in Krishna and his Guru, and his
commitment (I get the goose bumps sometimes). Coming
to a totally western country in the 1960s during the
height of hippie movement not knowing anybody or not
having any possessions and building the biggest
Vaishnava movement ever (with the highest standards),
all at the age of 70+, surviving 2 heart attacks
enroute, my God!!! Unfathomable. He was truly, really
empowered.

>   Our sampradAyam needs AchAryAs like Sri
PrabhupAda.

>   -adiyen.
>

> pritesh patel <tesh_tel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   What have out Purvacharayas said about the Hare
Krishna mantra???

> Also can and does the Namo Narayanaya mantra be sung
like a keertan as hare krishna is??? >br>
> Finally is Hari nama japa/sankeertan held in the
same esteem in Sri sampradaya as it is in Gaudiya
sampradaya (who see it as the most important practice)

> Pattangi <danp@xxxxxxx> wrote:   sri:
> Humble pranam to all devotees:
>
> http://www.radioramanuja.com/audio/

<http://www.radioramanuja.com/Chants/krishna108.ram>Hare
Krishna Chanting by His Divine Grace A.C.
Bhaktivedanta <http://www.prabhupadaconnect.com/>Swami
Prabhupada

> http://www.radioramanuja.com/audio/
>

> ---------------------------------
>   How much free photo storage do you get? Store your
holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos. Get Yahoo!
Photos

> Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
> http://www.vedics.net

>     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
Yahoo! Terms of Service.

>  Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in
one click.

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM