You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00195 Nov 2005

Sri:

Dear Sri.Vimalkumar Swamin,

With due respects to Sri.Prabhupadha, your statement that "Our sampradAyam needs AchAryAs like Sri PrabhupAda." sounds a bit negative abour our sampradhayam and also "qualifies" our acharyas. We the sishya samooham have no right to do that. We should every day be happy that we got the acharya parampara as we have today and try to accomplish at least a tiny fragment of what they have instructed. Period.

Regards

Adiyen
Ramanuja Dasan.

vimalkumar ranganathan <panardasan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
sri:
Humble pranam to all devotees:

Yes, we can chant the Hare Krishna mantra.

Chanting the holy names of the Lord is very much a part of our Sampradayam. Sri Thondaradippodi AzhwAr's ThirumAlai is all about Chanting His names (Almost all the AzhwArs, except maybe ThiruppAnAzhwAr have echoed similar thoughts). Our PoorvAchAryAs have not explicitly mentioned about the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra, but the Kalisantarana Upanishad has explicitly mentioned the Hare Krishna Mahamantra. It is supposed to be a powerful Mantra.

Yet, one should not consider that it is the chanting that takes one to VaikunthA. It is the Lord who takes us to VaikunthA (out of his causeless mercy, or Nir-hEtuka Kripa).

Chanting the "Om namo nArAyanAya" mantram can be performed formally only after taking the Panchasamskaram (Initiation) from a Srivaishnava AchAryA.

Personally, I like the Hare Krishna maha mantram, as it is easy to sing with tunes, the meters are perfect. It is a very big advantage for the ISKCON movement, as it is simple, elegant and attracts everyone, because of the music and the beats. If one looks at the history of ISKCON, Swami PrabhupAdA began his movement just by singing the Hare Krishna Mantra with a drum in the middle of a crowded park, the rest as they say is history.

On a seperate note, I am still amazed by his confindence in Krishna and his Guru, and his commitment (I get the goose bumps sometimes). Coming to a totally western country in the 1960s during the height of hippie movement not knowing anybody or not having any possessions and building the biggest Vaishnava movement ever (with the highest standards), all at the age of 70+, surviving 2 heart attacks enroute, my God!!! Unfathomable. He was truly, really empowered.

Our sampradAyam needs AchAryAs like Sri PrabhupAda.

-adiyen.

pritesh patel <tesh_tel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What have out Purvacharayas said about the Hare Krishna mantra???

Also can and does the Namo Narayanaya mantra be sung like a keertan as hare krishna is??? >br>
Finally is Hari nama japa/sankeertan held in the same esteem in Sri sampradaya as it is in Gaudiya sampradaya (who see it as the most important practice)

Pattangi <danp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
sri:
Humble pranam to all devotees:

http://www.radioramanuja.com/audio/

<http://www.radioramanuja.com/Chants/krishna108.ram>Hare Krishna Chanting by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta <http://www.prabhupadaconnect.com/>Swami Prabhupada

http://www.radioramanuja.com/audio/

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia