You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00054 Oct 2002

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha
Sri VanAchala mahA munayE Namaha

SrisailEsa dayA pAthram deebhakthyAdhi gunArnavam
Yateendra pravanam vandhE ramya jAmataram munim

RamyajAmatru yOgeendra pAdha rEkhA mayam sadhA
thathAyathatAthma sadhdhAthim rAmAnuja munim bhajE

Periya Jeeyer first gave the sanghu, chakra lAnchanam (thApa samskAram) to
annan and looked into his eyes for a long time with eyes filled with grace and
then pointing towards vanamAmalai Jeeyer told to annan, ?He is very close to
me. Whatever fortune I receive should also go to him. Like me getting a
relation with the mudaliyAndAn clan, he should also receive the same?.
Understanding the implications in Periya Jeeyer?s words annan replied, ?Can?t
you make me a shisya of VanamAmalai Jeeyer too?? Jeeyer was happy to hear this
and said, ? That?s my wish too. You learn the rahasya arthas from my beloved
vanamamalai Jeeyer?. Annan was very happy and considered it to be his bhAkyam
(good fortune).

Then remembering the dream and dEvaperumAl?s wish annan with the same in mind
looked at appAchiyAr anna. Understanding the entailment in annan?s look,
appAchiyAr anna came forward and prostrated Periya Jeeyer. Swamy asked him,
?What?? for which appAchiyAr anna told swamy about the dream and requested
swamy to submit him to the divine feet of ?engalAndavan vanamAmalai Jeeyer
swamy?. Highly pleased to hear this periya jeeyer exclaimed, ?nam appAchiyAr
andrO!? and granted him the permission to become a shisya of vanamamalai jeeyer.

Then, mAmunigal made vanamamalai jeeyer to be seated in his place and
appAchiyAr anna near him and also gave the thirukkaiAlwars (thiruvAzhi,
thirusanghu elachchinai) in the hands of vanamamalai Jeeyer and told
vanamamalai jeeyer to do sanghu chakra lAnchanam to appAchiyAr anna. Feeling a
little shy to do the same in front of his acharya, vanamamalai Jeeyer
hesitated. But then mAmunigal told him, ?Don?t hesitate; this is my wish so
carry onwithout any hesitation? and showered his grace on anna and embraced him
with love. Then as per appAchiyArs words his brother dAsarathi appai also
surrendered under the feet of vanamamalai jeeyer and undertook samAsrayanam.

Due to the sankalpam of Periya perumAl (?Sri sakasya niyOkEna sisriyE dEsiga
sriya:), Periya Jeeyer, seated in the topmost unparalleled acharya position,
blessed his shisya, very close to him and under the divine krupai of Sriyapathi
Sri Vanamamalai peruma,l with his symbols and power to do samAsrayanam to the
Srivaishnavas belonging to vAdhoola kulam. Seeing this, annan and others were
wonder struck. And meanwhile few others who heard of this (how achAryasrEshta
Periya Jeeyer showered his grace on vanamamalai jeeyer and made him do pancha
samskAram to the vadhoolas) talked among themselves about the same and showed
their due respects to swamy.

At that time, Koil annan swamy submitted suddha sattvam anna to the divine feet
of vanamamalai Jeeyer. Thereby becoming a shisya of vanamamalai jeeyer, suddha
sattvam anna was deeply involved in the divine qualities of his acharya, filled
with kalyana gunas, and with a thirumEni filled with soundaryam (beauty) and
sowkumAryam (fragile nature) and was highly pleased to become the shisya of
such an acharya with Jnanam and anushtAnam.

Then while vanamamalai Jeeyer was delivering kalashepam to suddha sattvam anna,
- kOil annan, appAchiyAr anna and dAsarathi appai came and requested to give
them also the divine rahasya traya arthas as per Periya Jeeyer?s words.
Following the orders of his acharyan, vanamamalai Jeeyer, who was always
interested only in the upliftment of the jeevAtmas (?AtmalAbhAth param kinchith
anyAn nAsthi?) did the same and thought them the rahasyams and other vishEsha
arthas.

(To be continued)

Alwar EmperumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen Ramanuja dasyai
Sumithra Varadarajan