You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00014 Oct 2003

srI:
srImathE rAmAnujAya namaha

Tiruppavai - Pasuram 1 :

maargazhith thingaL madhi niRaindha nannaaLaal*
neeraadap pOdhuveer pOdhuminO nErizhaiyeer*
seer malgum aayppaadic celvac ciRumeergaaL*
koorvER kodunthozhilan nandhagOpan kumaran*
Eraarndha kaNNi yasOdhai iLam singam*
kaar mEnic sengaN kadhir madhiyam pOl mugaththaan*
naaraayaNanE namakkE paRai tharuvaan*
paarOr pugazhap padindhElOr embaavaay.

In the first pasuram, AndAL glorifies the following nAmAs : 1. nandhagOpan
kumaran, 2. yasOdhai iLam singam, 3. kAr mEnian, 4. sengkannan, 5. kadhir madiy
am pol mugathan, 6. nArAyanan

Bhaghavan has six basic gunas ie. gnAnam, sakthi, veeryam, aiswaryam, tEjas,
balam. All these gunAs are "katti pon" or raw gold with which we cannot enjoy.
What we need is "pani pon" or processed gold. That's why AndAL praises his
sowseelya (mingles with cowherds), sowlabhya (easy to access) and soundarya
(beautiful and charming) first before she mentions about his paratvam (nArAyanA
nAmam).

By being born in a cowherd society, where they can't differentiate between
right and left hand (idakkai valkkai ariyadha ayykulam), he displays his
sowseelya gunam (even though of a high transcedental quality, comes down
lower). And that too born to a king (vasudeva and devaki), he has allowed
himself to be brought up in a cowherd family.

Lord Krishna himself say in Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 9 - Slokam 11)

avajAnanti mam mUdha ; mAnusim tanum Asritam ; param bhAvam ajAnanto ; mama
bhUtam mahEsvaram

Fools see my equal to them when I take a human form and (they distance
themselves when I am told mahEsvaran), but they don't know my transcedental
nature, even if I take birth as human being.

Finally, the Upanishad (not sure which Upanishad, heard as Ishopanishad) says :

poorNamdha: poorNam idham
poorNaath poorNamudachayathE I
poorNasya poorNamaadhaya
poorNamEvaavasishyathE II

The Lord is poornan (complete with all respects as a Brahmam) in all the five
stages param (para vAsudevan), vyUham (ksheerabdi nathan), vibhavam (rama,
krishna avatAram), antaryAmi (residing in our inner souls), archAvatram
(tirupathi, sri rangam etc).

AndAL use his sowseelyam gunam first, that he is born among us (later adores
him as nArAyanA - his paratvam) so that jIvAtmas like us will atleast start
coming to him.

In the second nAmA, she praises the soundaryam of Lord (to be continued)

namO nArAyanA

G. Sundarrajan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia