You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00015 Oct 2003

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Sri Vedanta Desikar's Vairagya Pancakam

Shloka 4:
durIshvara dvAra bahirvitardikA
durAsikAyai racitoyamanjali: |
yadanjanAbham nirapAyamasti me
dhananjaya syandana bhUshaNam dhanam ||

Meaning:
A salute with folded hands (good bye) is given to the
thought of waiting at the doorstep of the prideful
kings. Do we not have that eternal wealth which is as
dark as the eyeliner and which stood as an ornament
to the chariot of Arjuna?

Sri PBA Swami's Commentary:
It is well known that those who go to see a king who
is full of pride, have to hang at his doorstep
requesting the gatekeeper as to when they can meet the
king; and that the gatekeepers would turn them down or
keep them waiting. Desikar is saying here that such a
thing should not happen to us even in our dreams. He is
showing his disgust with that behaviour by saying that
he is giving a salute to it. This is a poetic
tradition. Alavandar too says "mahyam namostu kavaye
nirapatrapAya".

If they don't worship these lords, how would they be
able to take care of their needs? Swami answers that
the Lord who stood on the chariot and said "yoga
kshemam vahAmyaham" is our eternal wealth. Therefore
those who are with "shri" due to that Lord do not
have to seek anyone else for their needs.

The wealth of this world is typically pale in color
and is transient in nature. Desikar says that our
wealth which stood on the divine chariot and taught
the Bhagavad Gita is not like that.

Vedanta Desikar Thiruvadigale Sharanam
Azhvar Emberumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Sharanam

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list