You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00039 Oct 2003

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

A Srivaishnava once asked Bhattar to teach him thiru-
ArAdhana-k-kramam. Bhattar then taught him the kramam
as done by Ramanujar. The Srivaishnava followed that
for a long time.

At one time he was staying with Bhattar and was
watching Bhattar do thiruvArAdhana-k-kramam. He
noticed that Bhattar was not following anything that
he had taught him.

What Bhattar was doing was this: He would take a bath,
wear clothes, wear thirumaN kAppu, go to where he
normally ate, ask his disciples to bring his personal
perumAL, present the food and water to that perumAL
and then himself eat.

The Srivaishnava then fell in Bhattar's feet and told
him "adiyEn has a question, but I am afraid to ask".

Bhattar said "Have no fear. Ask your question".

He said "You taught me the thiruvArAdhana-k-kramam in
one way, but you are doing something totally different.
Why is that?"

Bhattar replied "Looking at all sastras, I did not
find anything different to teach you. Looking at the
same sastras, I did not see anything different for
myself to do".

That is, an acharya will teach his disciples many
things in order to correct them, help control their
senses and turn them toward the Lord. But the acts
of the same acharya toward the Lord is beyond the
understanding of the disciples.

Azhvar Emberumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Sharanam

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list