You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00084 Oct 2003

Sri Krishnaya Namah!

On a question as to whether Sriman Narayana is supreme or not, as per Veda,
here are my views:

If one were go by Veda, then one should thoroughly go through the entire
Vedas, including karma kanda and seek for answers Period.

I read somewhere that even Sage Bharadhwaja cannot study the vedas in its
entirety and it requires many births to great sages to digest vedas. Even
Brahma who have been taught Vedas by Narayana Himself, loses it and forgets
sometimes and then meditates on Narayana to gain the knowledge. Just like
a MBBS qualifies one as a doctor, in the same way, Brahma was a qualified
creator after gaining the knowledge of Vedas.

If one were go by Acharyas(Sri Adi Shankara, Sri Ramanuja, Sri Madhwa) - a
question arises as to whether they have commented on Vedas in their own
way(by influencing the work with their notions) or they simply put that
across without any additions, as they have understood. If the former is
true then Vedas has to be left alone and their work can be called an
intellectual work on spirituality and if the latter is true, we must follow
their preachings. Somebody should throw some light on this as the
acharyas (especially the main three) are godsent and have divine powers.

On a different platform, we have many proofs in terms of Purusha sooktha,
Narayana Suktha, Vishnu Suktha, Sri Suktha, Mahanarayana
Upanishat/Chandogya Upanishat(out of 10 principle upanishats) to prove
WITHOUT ANY DOUBT that Narayana is the Supreme and "NA DWITHIYOSTHI
KASCHITH". Icing on the cake is the celestial song - Bhagavadgita, which
has got such a universality that there is a need for the present day
mankind to study this in its entirety. Vibhooti yoga in BG clearly states
that it is He who is the cause for all and none else, and whatever be our
ishtadeva and our kainkaryams towards Him will finally reach Him and He
will bless us in the form being cherished by us. Somebody should list down
these so that bhagavathas are happy for being a Perumal bhakthas with very
little knowledge on Veda.

Also, can anyone refute the knowledge behind BG or Srimad Bhagavatha being
a sathvik purana. Atleast in my wildest dreams, I will bank on the
preachings of alwars, acharyas (including Sri Adi Shankara) except for a
miniscule shaivites, shakthites and ganapathites as my mind is made up for
Narayana.

Let BG lights our mind's eye and thwarts all these doubts.

Sukumar

Sri Krishnaparabrahmane Namah!

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia