You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00115 Oct 2003

Dear all,

Though I consider myself as a kid as far as this discussion is considered, I
also want to start participating. I hope you all don't mind.

I completely agree with Sri.Srinivasa chary in that the number of hymns
addressed to any deity cannot be the criterion to judge the supremacy.

I had attended a "Veda-Workshop" some time back organised by "SAKSIVC" - Sri
Arobindo and Kapalishastry institute of Vedic Culture at Bangalore. One
Prof.R.L.Kashyap gave a very good discourse on Veda. I was impressed by the
analogy he gave regarding supremacy of Vishnu. He said "We spend many years to
have basic education (16 years) before we really get into an advanced education
like Masters degree. Now in Master's degree we may spend only some 2 years or
so. Can we say that Basic education/degree is greater in value than Masters?"

What I understood from the above discussion is that to understand the "Narayana
Paratvam" we need to go step by step while deciphering the Vedas & not get
biased by number of hymns addressed to a particular deity.

More over, if we see the small set of Vishnu suktam addressed to Vishnu in
Rigveda, it uses a terminology "Paramam Padam" meaning "Supreme Place". To my
knowledge this terminology is not used anywhere in the whole of Vedic
literature, very clearly indicating Vishnu's supremacy.

Adiyen
Mohan Ramanujadasan.