You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00113 Oct 2003

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya nama:

Dear devootees,
Humble praNAms to all. This is a general post. History
speaks for itself as Sri Sriram mentioned. If we look back,we
strangely observe that whenever people(not belonging to the Vedic)
gave utmost importance to their religions,the society underwent utter
cruelty in all possible forms. We have been ruled by Britishers and
Moghuls for centuries and no one needs to be told about what had
happened. Ours is the only country which stands by itself without
getting shaken by the surroundings. Even within our own vedic
tradition, there are more eveidences for shaivite kings torturing SV's
(my dear kUraththAzhvAn is the example) than vice versa. Atleast I'm
not aware of it and my knowledge is weak in these areas. Whenever we
gave utmost importance to our religion,we obseved a "golden
period"(example King Gupta's or pallava period)in our society. In our
case,religion is directly proportional to the welfare of the society.

All problems arise when knowledge is misused.
Shankaracarya might have written many samskrt works but he was surely
not a "social" reformer(he was not at all bothered about the welfare
of the other jIvAtmAs) and so is true with Madhwacarya. Only
Emperumanar/Ramanujacarya is a true theologian,philosopher,social
critic/reformer etc...R.K.Das(PhD and who does research in
Vaishnavism) says that vaishnavism existed much much before veda
vyasa period. He says vaishnavism is as old as the vedas which is
ageless! I would say our religion is much more scientific in
answering fundamental questions than any other religion. It will
probably take Scientists some million years to prove
the "objectivism" rather than the "subjectivism" of Sriman Narayana!

Like Kulashekhara AzhvAr,I'm of the conviction that sri
vaishnavas would never(would be the last creatures if it ever
happens!)go to the extent of torturing(or being indifferent or
hostile to) others. To do certain things,one needs to have the
smartness/sAmarthyam and I'm pretty sure SVs lack that trait. I would
say that an SV is the most compassionate person who embraces
everything despite all the differences that exist. My father is the
example for that. He is a "pakka" SV,doesn't step into shaivite
temples but that didn't stop him from learning about other
religions/cults/sects and he has the heart and the mind to accept
people as they are and also if his kids marry someone belonging to
other religions!!!!!!! I wish I have that same heart and mind and
right now I don't possess one. My mother always used to say
that "people who are extremely orthodox will also be forward in
thinking and they will accept everything;but those who are neither
here nor there create a mess out of everything". Kindly pardon me if
I offended anyone's feelings in the process of writing some junk.

AzhvAr emperumAnAr jIyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam
NC Nappinnai

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com