You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00210 Oct 2004

SRIMATHE RAMANUJAYA NAMAHA.

The following is based on adiyaL's limited knowledge of texts to
produce pramanas in this context.

(1) There are no twin souls in a single body as per texts. According
to Brahma sutras such a condition comes to exist just for 2 months in
a man's body ( who is the act of generation) when the soul which is
in the process of being born remains in the man's yoni which is  the
4th oblation as per panchagni vidhya. As a continuation of this
process, it enters the woman's yoni to take a body. Thus another soul
exists in a woman's body only for the sake of getting a body and
birth.

(2)In 1-16 of Acharya hridhayam, we come across references to 4 types
of bodies (deham) and 4 gathis. Taking cue from this, it is
understood that there are only 4 kinds of deham, deva, manushya,
dhiryak (can any one please explain what this is) and sthavara.

(3) I wish to combine the 4 gathis in this context as that gives an
idea about the nature of beings in different bodies. It is said that
those having a mix of punya and paapa are born in garbha-agathi
(womb). Those who are to experience the effects of paapa alone are
born in Yaamya gathi. Those who are to experience the effects of
punya alone are born in Dhoomaathi-gathi. Those who are entitled to
attain paramapadam go by Archirathi-gathi.

(4)Going by this, the existence of paishasha or ghosts is possible
and they are (probably) the ones attaining yaamya gathi.

(5)There is no basis to assume that the 'haunted' ones have indeed
been occupied by other souls or ghosts. Science has better
explanations for this state - which once again prove that other souls
do not enter the so-called haunted ones.

(6) The 'taamasa janaa:' as mentioned in chapters 9 and 17 of BG are
persons with taamasic gunas and not 'ghosts' which are supposed to
have subtle bodies.

-jayasree saranathan.

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, vedavalli ranganathan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM