You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Sep 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00188 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

sri:

Learn Thirumantram - From Sri U Ve Velukkudi Krishnan Swami
Second Session: Oct 8th to Nov 14th, 2004   register at:
http://www.vedics.net/course/index.html

Dear Devotees:

We are all blessed to be in a situation where acharyas knowledge keeps pouring
to us.

With HIS blessings, we are blessed to learn Thirumantram as taught by our
Purvacharyas.

For those devotees who were not able to make use of the oppurtunity, we are
conducting the class again Oct 8th to Nov 14th, 2004

Led by Sri Velukkudi Swami's CD (and Vyakhyanam Book in Tamil or English)
Swami will also try to come on the Tele-Bridge to teach and help us clarify our
doubts.
If you desire to learn, please register at: http://www.radioramanuja.com

For Devotees in the USA/ Canada only: We will provide the CD (18 hours) Free of
cost
(You will have to pay the Packaging & shipping charges $10 )
or collect from your local VEDICS center. (www.vedics.net)

Devotees not in USA/Canada can still register for the course, but will have to
get the
materials on-line at http://www.radioramanuja.com

Following in the Sri Vaishnava tradition there is no fees for the class.

Note from Sri Velukkudi Swamin - As was sent for the 1st session.

Mumukshupadi - Know yourself through Tirumantram

We, the jeevatmas, enjoy an intimate relationship with the Paramatma. Realising
this relationship culminates into a perennial spring of joy. The most important
source of this knowledge is known as Rahasyatraya the three sacred mantras
Tirumantram, Dvayam and Caramaslokam.

Tirumantram depicts the Master and servant relationship,
Caramasloka instructs absolute surrender (Saranagati) as the only option for
the servant for spiritual union with his Master, and
Dvaya is for chanting during actual performance of Saranagati and requesting
service.
All the three rahasyas are short in words but deeper than the ocean in their
esoteric meanings.

Rahasyatraya knowledge is a must for every mumukshu (one who is longing for
Srivaikuntha).

Kanchi Devaraja incarnated as Swamy Pillailokacarya, and to unravel the
mysticism of Rahasyas, delivered 18 divine works revered as ashtadasa rahasyas.
Mumukshupadi is the most important of them on the subject of Rahasyatraya. It
comprises of three chapters, namely, Tirumantra prakarana, Dvaya Prakarana and
Caramasloka Prakarana. The text is in the form of aphorisms (sutra), where
minumum words are used for maximum meanings. This text needed a detailed
commentary, which was an in born talent of Swamy Manavala Mamunikal.

Being an incarnation of Adisesha, who had thousand divine tongues, Manavala
Mamunigal inherited the power of description and so was renowned as Visada Vak
Sikhamanigal.

Now, we have an opportunity to study Mumukshupadi at home. As a first step we
would start with tirumantra prakaranam,(115 sutras) and understand the glories
of Paramatma and Jivatma. Tirumantram surpasses all other mantras as it houses
the unique Narayana namam.

The suitable time to study this would be the brahma muhurtam of a year, which
is margazhi month (dhanur masa). Andal, in the first verse of Tiruppavai,
proclaims that Narayana is the bestower of divine service (narayanane namakke
parai taruvan).

Study session would start on 1st day of margazhi (16th Dec 2003) and would
continue for the whole month.
Each participant would be given 2 MP3 CDs with a talk time of 18 hours - Free
of cost.
These CDs have word-by-word explanation of Mumukshupadi along with the
commentary of Swamy Manavala Mamunigal rendered by Sri U. Ve. Velukkudi
Krishnan in simple tamil.

The participant (USA and Canada) has to donate $10 :  towards the Text Book.
The students, after receiving the CDs and the book, should mail a check for
$10, made out to Vedics
(write Thirumanthram Class in the memo section) and mail it to:

TCA Venkatesan
236 Bellshire Lane
Rochester Hills, MI 48307

For those who are not familiar in reading Tamil script, a simple English
translation of Swamy Manavala Mamunigal's commentary.
(Vedics Foundation USA makes this available in the Web & in Paper form)

Students have to allot 1 hour every day OR 7 hours per week and complete
listening to the CDs along with the book.
(listen to the discourse along with the book).

The participants would be supplied with a simple questionnaire, which they need
to answer at home to reinforce what they learnt.

Participants can form study groups at their towns and answer to these over
weekends and submit the assignment.
This is not to scare anyone but to build confidence.

(VEDICS will make arangements to receive and submit homeworks and solutions on-
line).
These assignments would be valued before the 30th day and results published on
the same day.

All the participants would be given a certificate naming them as "tirumantra
pravana"(one who is fond of tirumantra)
and a momento (of Swamy Manavala Mamunigal).

Satisfied participants may choose to reciprocate by participating in any
vaishnava kainkaryam
undertaken by VEDICS at that time.

A word of caution:
Only the acharya of a participant has the authority to preach rahasyatrayam to
him.
So every participant is requested to recite his acharya tanian at the beginning
and end of every session.
(If you have not had initiation and are interested please e-mail danp@xxxxxxx).

We expect everyone wanting to know the right meaning of tirumantram,
which is essential to be a Srivaishnava, to participate in this programme.

We are sure that you would allot 18 hours to know yourself through tirumantram.

If you desire to learn, please register at: http://www.radioramanuja.com

Azhvar Emberumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Sharanam

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM