You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Sep 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00189 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Bhagavathas

Another rejoinder to the P and S discussion from my
father.

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan

Aravindan

Let me pass on what little I know on the subject. I
would like to say I have still doubts, which may need
a good Acharyan to clarify.

We Vishitadvaithis ( as I told you, the word does not
mean Vishesha or special Advaitha but it means
animate, inanimate togethered and thus glorified
Brahmam is one-Vishista is not Vishesha) say there are
three Thathvas or principles Chit, Achit and Eswara-
Thathvatraya Soul or Chit has wisdom or Gnana, power
or ability to act and power or ability to enjoy as its
characteristics. They are called Gyantritvam,
Kartritvam and Bhogtritvam. Kartritvam is an agency
function or delegated power given by Eswara and
Bhogtritvam flows from Kartritvam Power to act is
delegated because the Vedas say that Brahmam is the
Niyantha or inner driver of the soul.

The best way to start discussing about S and P is to
quote Mumukshuppadi, a work of Pillailokacarya.(
Mumukshuppadi explains the meaning of
Rahasyatraya-namely Thirumathram, Dwayam and
Charamaslokam- I hope you are clear on the difference
between Thathvatrya and Rahasyatrya)

M55 Seshatvame Atmavukku Swarupam

M56 Seshtvam illatha pothu Swarupam illai.

While explaining the inner meaning of Thirumanthram,
PL says that the Akshara Ma in the first word namely
Pranavam signifies souls( Om Namo Narayanaya is
Thirumanthram and Om consists of Aa, U, Ma) Namaha is
Na and Ma meaning not mine. In other words Namaha
expands the Ma of Pranavam to say that the soul is not
owned by itself  but is the sesha or servant of Eswara
or Seshi. This Servitude to God  is the essential
characteristic of or Swarupa of the Soul.

The terms Seshi and sesha are difficult to define and
practically impossible to translate. They literally
mean Principal and Subordinate( or Remainder)In
sacrificial parlance they express the relationship
between the main rite and subsidiary rituals In
Srivaishnava usage Sesha-Seshi relationship is most
often illustrated in terms of the servant- master
relationship.

Thus we have four characteristics for the
Soul-Gyantritvam, Kartritvam, Bhogtritvam and
Seshatvam. Ramanuja states as under in his Vedartha
Sangraha( VS 246)about the relativities of these four.

The soul?s nature is distinct from(all kinds of
)bodies (gods etc), Has knowledge( gnana),as its one
characteristic( aakaara) and has subservience(
seshatva) to the Supreme as its sole nature(swarupa)

Thus Seshatva is more central to the Soul?s essential
nature than Gyantritva..

Now you can understand why Alvars and Andal have said
Ozhivil kalamellam----vazhuvila adimai seyyavedum,
Unakke nam Aatcheivom etc.

Now a little bit about Parathanthrium. P is an evolved
form of S .Let me quote from Acharya Hridhayam to
explain P.

AH 21

Seshatva Bhogtritvangal pol anre  Parathanthria
Bhogytaigal

Manavalamamunigal explains as under this.

Seshtvam is to make oneself suitable for the actions
of the Lord.

Parathanthrium is allowing oneself to be utilised by
the Lord as He pleases.

Bhogtritvam is enjoying oneself the pleasures of
serving the Lord.

Bhogyatvam is allowing the Lord to enjoy the pleasures
of the service rendered by the soul. This is the
ultimate ego shattering practice. This is giving up of
Swayatnam even to preserve oneself . Thirukkanamangai
andan?s example is quoted here.

Seshatvam goes with Bhogtritvam . P goes with
Bhogyathai.

The Sutra says that Seshatvam and Bhogyatvam that goes
with S are different from P and Bhogyatahai that goes
with P. The latter is superior..

I am doubtful as to how one should practise P as all
these are mental attitudes.

Prabhathi or Saranagathi is the surrender of our free
will to act to the Lord ,telling Him that I don?t want
my autonomy as I will mess up my life, please take it
back and guide me. Are you able to see the link
between S and P on the one hand and Prabhathi on the
other?

Have I conveyed something useful?

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM