You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Apr 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00113 Apr 2006

Apr 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy AzhwArs wonderful verses on
ThiruvEnkatam. Today?s ThiruvEnkatam verse is:
NammAzhwAr?s Thiruvaaymozhi 6.9.5

viNmeedhiruppaay! malaimEl niRpaay! kadalsErppaay,
maNmeedhuzhalvaay! ivaRRuLengum maRaindhuRaivaay,
eNMeedhiyanRa puRavandaththaay! enadhaavi,
uNmeedhaadi urukkaattaathE yoLippaayO?  6.9.5

Oh Lord! EmperumaanE! the One who is at ParamaPadham!
You are standing at Tirumala (Tirupati!); You are
lying down and having Your YoganithrA on Milk Ocean
(ThiruppaaRkadal); You take various avataars and live
with us in our midst like ordinary being; But, You
also live in all beings as an antharyaami, without
being seen; You are beyond comprehension and beyond
one's understanding; You stay in the entire vast
universe and protect as Sarvarakshakan; You also stay
in my heart always without leaving, -uninterruptedly.
In spite of ALL THIS, You ARE HIDING YOURSELF from me
without showing Your form!

(AzhwAr, in this pAsuram describes all Emperumaan's
states (Param, VyUham, Vivhavam, Archai and
Antharyaami)- Let us enjoy more about these forms
[taking the extract from beautiful write up by Sri
Satakopan Swami of New York..- from the translation of
asmadAchAryan His Holiness of Sri paravakkOttai
Andavan swami in 1999 Jan thru? teleupanysam- the
first of His teleupanyasams]

The superiority of ArchA rUpam among Sriman NarAyaNA's
pancha rUpams [param, VyUham, Vibhavam, antharyAmi
roopam and ArchA).

Parama padham,where the Lord is resident as Parama
padha nAthan is surrounded by the aNDams and the
aavaraNam waters (Oceans ). It is not of easy access
to us residing on earth. We can  not travel there even
to get a vessel filled with aavaranam waters.It is too
far away.Hence param and parama padham can not be
enjoyed with our sthUla sarIram. Only as a muktha
Jivan possesing Sookshma sarIram,one can enter and
enjoy the anthamil pErinbham there.

The second rUpam of the Lord is as Sesha saayee in the
middle of the milky ocean.Here He is presenting
Himself as KshIrAbhdhi nAthan to DevAs and maharishis.
Again, this is beyond our reach with SthUla sarIram.
hence,it is not of much use either for us to see and
enjoy.

The Third rUpam of the Lord is what has been
celebrated as Raama,KrishNAvathArams. These Vinhava
avathArams were enjoyed by those who were
contemporaries. Today,it is history and we can not
enjoy Lord KrishNA as  Gopis and AkrUrar did. Thus
this rUpam is in the past like last year's river
water,which is no longer available to quench our
thirst ( dried up river bed ).

The fourth rUpam is antharyAmi savrUpam. It is likened
to OoRRu jalam. You have to dig in the river bed sand
and access the water under. Through the difficult
JNa~na Yogam, one can visualize this svarUpam of the
Divya dampathis seated in our heart cavities. Very few
have the power to succeed in such efforts and
thus,this svarUpam is also not within reach of
ordinary folks on this earth.

The fifth rUpam is the One that Sriman NaarAyaNan took
to make Himself easily available to one and all and to
enjoy Him with our own sthUla sarIram and Maamsa
chakshus [physical eyes]. No divya dhrushti as needed
by ArjunA is a  must to see the VisvarUpam of the
Lord." angu vaitthu,inghE piRanthathu " is the
celebration of this ArchAvathAram by Eedu grantham.

Srimath Andavan went on to describe the five rUpams
celebrated by Vedams in the manthram in the manner of
tamizh maRai :

ambhasya paarE bhuvanasya madhyE naakasya prushtE
mahathO mahIyAn sukrENa jyOthIgumshi samanupravishta:
PrajApathisccharathi garbhE antha: -- TaittirIya
AaraNyakam : III.13.3

In ParAvathAram,the Lord is in Sri Vaikuntam as para
VaasudEvan enjoying the Saama ghAnam. Therefore it is
described as Paattu kEtkumidam. It is not accessible
to us ; we can not hear this music with our Maamsa
karnams.

In VyUham, Lord rests on the serpent bed enjoying His
yOga NidhrA.He is rudely awakened by all the terror
stricken devAs, who seek His intervention and complain
about the terrors inflicted on them by the asurAs. He
has to come to help after listening to their
fear-laden prayers ( muRaiyidal iDam ). This far off
place is also inaccessible to us.We can not get there
to appeal to Him to intervene and help us from our
afflictions. Therefore Vyuha Moorthy is off limits for
us.

Vibahva avathArams are known as kuthittha iDam. Lord
NarasimhA jumped out of the pillar and performed His
avathAra Kaaryam and can no longer be seen in His
original vibhava form.

AntharyAmi svarUpam is known as OottumiDam. It is a
svarUpam exclusively seen by those, who have succeeded
in their Jn~ana Yoga saadhanais.It is again out of
reach for us.

ArchA SvarUpam is known as VaLaittha iDam. Here,the
Lord ahs become very accessible to us and rests at
Srirangam suggestign that He would  not leave us until
all of our Paapams are removed. He patiently waits for
us to get SadAchArya Sambhandham and come to Him.
AzhwArs and AchAryAs enjoyed the ArchAmUrthys at the
various divya desams and stated unequivocally that it
is their preferred choice among the five prakAra
rUpams of Sriman NaarAyaNan.

It is interesting to note that para VaasudEvan gives
us sEvai on the PraNava VimAnam at Srirangam, VyUha
Moorthy is seen as Archai at Srirangam, Anbil,
Thirukkudanthai et al,Vibhava Moorthys are present in
the ArchA form at ThiruevuLL ( Sri Veera Raaghavan ),
Dwarakai (KrishNan ), AhObilam ( Narasimhan ) et al.

AzhwArs and AchAryAs assertion of their preference for
the  archA form of the Lord over all the other Four
forms are abundant. Srimath Andavan quoted a few of
them. I have added a few more to illustrate his point:

icchuvai taviRa yaan pOy Indira lokamALum
achuvai peRinum vENDEn Arangamaa naharuLAnE
-- ThirumAlai of ThindaradipoDi : 2nd Paasuram

aNdavANanarangan,van pEy mulai
uNDa vAyanRanunmatthan kANminE
-- KulasEkharar : PerumAL Thirumozhi:3.4

sempavaLa vaayan ThiruvEnkatamennum
EmperumAn Ponn malai mEl yEthEnum aavEnE
--- Kulasekharar : PerumAL Thirumozhi : 4.10

AanDAi unaik KaaNpathOr aruLenaakaruLithiyEl
vENDEn manai vAzhkhayai ViNNagar MEyavanE
-- Thirumangai's Paasuram on ThiruviNNagarAn
Manai means here Sri Vaikuntam.

athraiva sukhamAsva
-- Sri RanganAthA's instruction to AchArya RaamAnujA

nirantharam  nirvisatha : tvadhIyam
 asprushta chinthA padham aapirupyam
satyam sapE Vaarana sailanAtha
 vaikunta vaasEpi na mEabhilAsha :--Swami Desikan,Sri
VaradharAja-PanchAsath: 49th slOkam

Here  Swami Desikan that he has  no desire to reside
in Sri Vaikuntam since he has the bhAgyam to enjoy the
unparalleled beauty of Sri VaradarAjan right here in
His archA form on top of Hasthigiri.He swears that he
prefers Kaanchi Vaasam to have the Sevai of Lord
VaradarAjA over residence in Sri VaikuntanAthan.

That is the glory of ArchA rUpam for us as revealed by
our AzhwArs and  AchAryAs.

AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE saraNam
Regards
Namo narayana