You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2001

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00004 Aug 2001

SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anubadravam anudhinamsamvardhaya/ SrIman!
SrI Ranga Sriyam anubadravam anudhinamsamvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava:/
SrI RanganAthO jayathu SrI Ranga SrIs cha
VardhathAm//
IN THIS ISSUE
1.      SRIMUKHAM BLESSINGS FROM SRIRANGAM SRIMAD ANDAVAN,
PERIYASRAMAM FOR "SRI RANGA SRI"
We are glad to present the long awaited Srimukham blessings for "Sri
Ranga Sri" Journal just received today from H.H. Srimushnam Andavan
Swami, Periyasramam from his New Delhi camp.
2.      INVITATION FOR "ACHARYA VAIBHAVAM CONFERNCE" to celebrate the
Tirunakshatrams of Tiruvenkatamudaiyan and His Ghantavatara, Swami
Vedanta Desika scheduled for the
3.      29th September 2001 at Buffalo, New York.
4.      SRIBHASYAMRUTHAM:
A BRIEF SUMMARY OF ADHIKARANAMS 83 to 95 OF ADHYAYAM 3 (PAADAM 3) OF
SRI BASHYAM
(Anbil Ramaswamy)
Based on
(i)"Sukha Bodhini" by Sri Purisai Nadadur Krishnamachariar Swami,
Editor & publisher, "Nrisimhapriya",
(ii) "Sri Bhashya Saaram" by Sri T.S. Rajagopalan Swami (and
published by Azhwargal Amudha Nilayam),
(iii) "Brahma Vidya" by Sri S. Jagannarayanan Swami, Retd. Secretary
to Govt. of India
(iv) "Sri Bhashya Saaraswaathinee" by Vaikuntavasi Vidwan
Tirupputkuzhi Narasimha Tatachariar Swami of Sri Hayagriva Vidya
Peetam, Chennai
(v) "Adhyatmika Saara" by Sokkanvur V Narasimhacharya, Aasthaana
Vidwan, Ahobila Matam published by G.K.Dixit, Dravida Desa Brahmana
Samskrita Sarvakalasalai, Trichy and
(vi) "Sri Bhashyartha Deepika" in Tamil by the above author with
commentaries on "Bhashyartha Manipravala Deepika" of 40th Pattam
Azhagiyasinghar and "Srisootrartha Padyamaalika" of 44th Pattam
Azhagiyasinghar.
5.      GITAMRUTHAM: GLORY OF ADHYAYAM 2 (SANKHYA YOGAM) OF
BHAGAVADGITA Summarized in English (Anbil Ramaswamy) from the "Gita
Saaram" of Vaikuntavasi U. Ve. Vidwan Saarasaarjna Tirukkallam
Narasimha Raghava Chariar Swami.
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy,
Editor & Publisher "Sri Ranga Sri"
===================================================================================================================================1.SRIMUKHAM
 BLESSINGS FROM SRIRANGAM SRIMAD ANDAVAN, PERIYASRAMAM
FOR "SRI RANGA SRI"
=================================================================================================================================SRIRANGAM
 SRIMAD ANDAVAN ASHRAMAM
NATIONAL EXCUTIVE COMMITTEE
NEW 31 (OLD 21) DESIKACHARI ROAD, MYLAPORE, CHENNAI ? 600 004
CAMP: NEW DELHI
DATED 9TH JULY 2001.

His Holiness Srimath Andavan is much pleased to see the publications
brought out by Sri Anbil Ramaswamy Iyengar on Srivaishnava
Sampradaya, which will go a long way to help our children to know our
Sampradaya.

His Holiness prays the Sriranga Divya Dampathis and the Padukas of
our Poorvacharyas, to bless Sri Anbil Ramaswamy Iyengar Swamy with
success in his yeoman service and to bring out many more publications
to help our posterity.

By order of His Holiness
(Sd) S. NARASIMHA RAGHAVAN
SRIKARYAM
9.7.2001
=======================================================================================================================================2.
 INVITATION FOR "ACHARYA VAIBHAVAM CONFERNCE" TO CELEBRATE THE
TIRUNAKSHATRAMS OF TIRUVENKATAM UDAIYAN AND HIS GHANTAVATARA, SWAMI
VEDANTA DESIKA
Dear friends:

Please see the enclosed announcement regarding the grand Celebration
of "Acharya Vaibhavam" jointly organized by "Swami Desika Darsana
Satsangam" (SDDS), " Sri Ramanuja Mission" and "The Hindu Cultural
Society of Western New York" on 29th July 2001 (Saturday) at Buffalo,
New York.

This is primarily for celebrating the Tirunakshatram of Swami
Desikan, Ghantavataram of Tiruvenkatamudaiyan, which is also that of
Tiruvenkatamudaiyan Himself. This also marks the 5th Anniversary of
Swami Desika Darsana Satsangam (SDDS) and the first Anniversary
of "Sri Ranga Sri" electronic journal.

This is a personal invitation to you and your family and friends to
come and receive the blessings of the Lord and our Acharyas. We
earnestly request you to please make a note of the event in your
Calendar and make it convenient for you to attend. All arrangements
will be made to pick up / drop off out-of station attendees, besides
comfortable stay, food etc.

Please confirm your RSVP by contacting anyone of the following:
Anbil Ramaswamy, Phone: (770) 434 - 9596
Email: Ramanbil@xxxx (SDDS)
Poondi Vijayaraghavan, Phone (732) 287 - 9062
Email: gcl@xxxx (Sri Ramanuja Mission)
Vijay Srinivasan, Phone:(716) 688 - 1635 Email:
Vijayaraghavan_s@xxxx (Hindu Cultural Society)

Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
President, Swami Desika Darsana Satsangam (SDDS) and
Editor & publisher, "Sri Ranga Sri"
(For & on behalf of the Organizers)
=======================================================================================================================================Sri:
Srimathe Nigamantha Mahadesikaya Namaha
Srimathe Bhagavathe Bhashyakaraya Mahadesikaya Namaha
Sri Ranganatha Divyamani PadukabhyAm Namaha

Dear Bhagavathas,

Prathishtaapitha Vedantha: Prathishiptha bahirmatha: |
Bhooyaa: Thraividhyamaanya: Thvam Purikalyanabhajanam ||
Swami Sri Desikan was thus blessed by Sri Nadadur Ammal (Vatsya
Varada Guru) the nephew of Sri Ramanujar, when Swami Sri Desikan was
five years old.
A free translation of this is
"You will establish Vedanta on a firm basis and refute the doctrine
of its opponents. May scholars well versed in the Vedas hold you in
great esteem. May you be the recipient in a great measure of all that
is auspicious." (Note: A mural depicting this incident can be seen on
the ceilings of Sri Varadaraja Swami Temple in Kanchipuram even
today).

Swami fulfilled the blessings of his pracharya (acharya's acharya) and
went on to establish himself as KAVITARKIKASIMHAM (the lion among
poets and logicians); VEDANTHACHARYA (foremost in exponent of
Vedanthic teachings) and SARVA THANTRA SWATANTHRA (full independence
in all sciences) Swami Sri Desikan's greatness in the field of
Vedanthic literature has no parallel. Swami has composed over 127
works in various languages including Sanskrit (67), Tamil (24),
Manipravalam (35), and Prakrit, a simple form of Sanskrit (1).

Swami Sri Desikan was a devout follower and systematic exponent of
Sri Ramanuja Siddhantham. It is in the works of Swami Sri Desikan
that the system of Sri Ramanuja Siddhantham shines in its
philosophical glory and ethical excellence.

This year Purataasi Thiruvonum marks the 733rd thirunakshathram of
Swami Sri Nigamaantha Maha Desikan, one of the greatest acharya's of
Sri Vaishnava Sath Sampradhayam. To commemorate the Thirunakshathra
Celebrations, an "Acharya Vaibhavam Conference" is being planned on
SEPTEMBER 29, 2001AT BUFFALO, NEW YORK
Please scroll below for the tentative program. which includes -
* Sri Hayagriva and Swami Desika Suprabadham
* Sudarsana Homam
* Tirumanjanam, Alamkaram and Poolangi Seva
* Acharya Paduka Thiruvaaraadhanam
* Nivedanam and Prasadams
* Speeches by Bhagavad Ramanuja - Desika Sampradaya Scholars
* Childrens' plays
* Kalyana Utsavam
* Various group recitals from Desika Stotras and Azhwaar Prabhandams
* Kalakshepam of "Srimad Rahasya Traya Saram"
·       A Question - Answer session etc.
The tentative program is as follows:
SWAMI SRI DESIKAN'S THIRUNAKSHATRAM
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29th 2001.

7.30 am to 8.00 am: Suprabatham.
Playing Audio recordings of the rare Hayagriva Suprabatham and Swami
Desika Suprabatham composed by Thritheeya Parakala Swami
+ Group recitation of Sri Venkatesa Suprabhatham.

8.00 am to 9.30 am: Sudarsana Homam
A 10 minute talk on Sudarsana Homam by Sri Vijayaraghavan Srinivasan
+ Group recital of Sudarsana Ashtakam.

9.30 am to 11.30 am: Tirumanjanam, Alamkaram and Poolangi Seva
Group recital of Sikshavalli and Purusha Sooktham
+ * At Tirumanjanam: Periyazhwar Tirumozhi 2.4 "Neeraattal" containing
"Vennai Alaintha kunungum",
* At Alamkaram: Nammazhwar's Tiruvoimozhi 4.3 "Kovai Vaayaal"
containing "Poosum Santhu enn nenjame" and
* At Nivedanam: Andal's Nachiar Tirumozhi 9. "Sindoora Sempodi
containing "Naru Narum pozhil"

11.30 am to 12.30 pm: Paduka Aradhanam and Sattrumurai.
A 10-minute talk on the importance of Paduka Aradhanam by Sri
Muralidhar Rangaswamy
Group recital of Iyal sattrumurai, Vazhi Tirunamam, Acharya Thanians
and Acharya Sambhavanai.

12.30 pm to 2:00 pm: Prasadam

2.00 pm to 2.30 pm: Keynote address on Sri Bhagavad Ramanuja
by Sri Poondi Vijayaraghavan Swami

2.30 pm to 3.00 pm: Keynote address on Swami Desika (to be finalized)

3.00 pm t0 3.20 pm: Talk (to be finalized) + Desika Mangalam.

3.20 pm to 3.30 pm: Break

3.30 pm to 4.00 pm: Childrens' play arranged by "Hindu Cultural
Society of Western New York" (Host organization).

4.00 pm to 6.00 pm: Kalyana Utsavam: Group recital of "Varanamayiram"

6.00 pm to 7.00 pm: Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam - Group recital

7.00 pm to 8.00 pm: Prasadam

8.00 pm to 9.30 pm: Kalakshepam of "Srimad Rahasya Traya Saram"
by Sri Anbil Ramaswamy
+ A Question and Answer group discussion, if time permits.
=======================================================================================================================================3.
 SRI BHASHYAMRUTHAM-
SUMMARY OF ADHIKARANAMS 83 to 95 OF ADHYAYAM 3 ? PAADAM 3 OF
SRIBHASHYAM
(This Paadam contains 26 Adhikaranams from 83 to 108. The summary of
Adhikaranams 96 to 108 will be presented in the next posting)
(Anbil Ramaswamy)
=====================================================================================================================================This
 Paadam is called "Guna Upasamhaara Paadam" because it deals with
the various Vidyas employed in meditating on the various qualities
(Gunas) of the Lord. As many as 32 Vidyas have been recognized.
Different branches of the Vedas called "Saakhaas" emphasize on one or
more of these qualities. (e.g.) Vaiswaanara Vidya, Dahara Vidya,
Akshara Brahma Vidya etc which describe the same Gunas with the same
names but emphasizing on different aspects of the Qualities.

ADHIKARANAM 83: SARVA VEDANTA PRATYAYA ADHIKARANAM
Since all these interpretations also refer not only to the same
names, but also "Vidhivaakhyas" (commands), "Phalan" (effects) and
the "Paramaatma" (The Supreme Soul) aspects mentioned in one but not
in the others must all be taken together for purposes of meditation.

ADHIKARANAM 84: ANYATHAATVA ADHIKARANAM
This deals with "Udgeetha Upaasanam" which has been described
differently in Chandokhya Upanishad and Brihadaaranyaka Upanishad.
Though they agree on the same name, command, fruit etc., the "form"
of the object of meditation is different. Both say that
the "Udgeetha" is required to meditate on "Mukhya Praana" (Vital
air). Since the form of the object of meditation is different the
Vidyas have to be taken as different. In other words, when the "form"
changes, it would result in a different Vidya.

ADHIKARANAM 85: SARVA BEDA ADHIKARANAM
It is stated in the Vedas that this "Mukhya Praana" is great; that it
has "speech" as its wealth (Vasishtam), that it is established
in "sight" (Prathishta); that it is bestowed in "hearing". Each of
the above views is expressed differently in Kaushitaki and Chandokhya
Upanishads. Since all have in common "Mukhya Praana" as
the "Abhimaana Devata", this Vidya should be deemed as incorporating
all these aspects.

ADHIKARANAM 86: ANANDAADYA ADHIKARANAM
The auspicious qualities of Bhagavan are infinite. It is not possible
to enumerate all of them in the Vidyas. Then, which quality is to be
meditated upon? Some qualities are "Swaroopa Nirupaka" (Naturally
inherent special qualities) while others are "Niroopitha Swarupa"
(Special Qualities that have become manifest and bear testimony to
His nature). e.g. Being blissful (Anandamaya), This is mentioned in
all Vidyas and is therefore important and should be meditated upon.
This quality of bliss is of 5 kinds: Being personification of bliss;
Being eternally so without any change; Being omniscient; Being
limitless and Being bereft of all defects.

ADHIKARANAM 87: KAARYAAKHYAANAA ADHIKARANAM
In "Praana Vidya", the waters sipped in "Achamanam" before and after
consuming food are required to be meditated upon as "Vastram" (dress)
of "Mukhya Praanan" The mantras recited in the Parishechanam before
and after eating should be deemed to be the "Vastram" of "Mukhya
Praanan"

ADHIKARANAM 88: SAMAANA ADHIKARANAM
In the above "Praana Vidya"and "Sandilya Vidya" dealing with "Vaja
saneeyam and in Brihada aranyakam qualities such as "Manomayam"
(mental cognition) are mentioned and all of them are equally valid.

ADHIKARANAM 89: SAMBANDA ADHIKARANAM
Brahadaranyakam mentions that Upasana of the Lord as
having "Pranavam" as His "Sareeram" and should be meditated in the
orb of the Sun and one's eyes. By virtue of positing meditation in
different locations, there is a slight difference in the two Vidyas.

ADHIKARANAM 90: SAMPRUTHYA ADHIKARANAM
Like the form, the qualities such as "Jyeshta" (causal) and "Veerya"
(capacity to create Akaasa etc ( i.e) omnipresence, these should be
meditated upon in all the Vidyas.

ADHIKARANAM 91: PURUSHA VIDYA ADHIKARANAM
"Purusha Vidya" is mentioned in Taittriyam and Chandokhyam but
because of the difference in the form explained in the respective
Upanishads, the "Purusha Vidya" in them should be deemed as different
(though they carry the same name). While in Taittriyam there is no
reference to "Phalam" (fruit of such meditation on "Purusha"),
Chandokhyam deals with long life (chirakaala jeevatvam).
Also, "Deeksha" (initiation) is prescribed in Chandokhya but not in
Taittriyam. Similarly, the result of "Purusha Vidya" is "Brahma
Praapti" (attaining Godhood) whereas in Chandokhya, it is only
longevity. So, Both are different.

ADHIKARANAM 92: VEDAATHYA ADHIKARANAM
This Adhikaranam states that mantras such as "SannOmitra:" found
in "Brahma Vidya" is useful for the study of Vedas (Veda Adhyayana)
only. Therefore, they do not constitute "angas" limbs or Parts) of
Brahma Vidya itself.

ADHIKARANAM 93: HAANYA ADHIKARANAM
This Adhikaranam advises that the Upasaka (practioner) leaves (haani)
the residual "Punyas" to his friends and residual "Papas" to his
enemies who inherit the same at the time of the death of the Upasaks.

ADHIKARANAM 94: SAMPRARAAYA ADHIKARANAM
This Adhikaranam addresses the question as to the point of time when
the Karmas of the Upasaka case and how the soul crosses the
legendary "Viraja" river. The question is "Do the karmas get
transferred at the time of death or during the journey through
the "Archiraadhi maarga"?. This Adhikaranam confirms that this
riddance of Karma takes place when the Jivan leaves the body (i.e).
at the time of death.

ADHIKARANAM 95: ANIYAMA ADHIKARANAM
This Adhikaranam avers that all Upasakas (practitioners) of all
Vidyas do go through the "Archiraadi maarga" because all Vidyas are
designed to lead the soul to the Lord.

Adhikaranams 96 to 108 of Paadam 3 of Adhyayam 3 will follow
===================================================================================================================================4.
 GITAMRUTHAM
GLORY OF ADHYAYAM 2 (SANKHYA YOGAM) OF BHAGAVADGITA Summarized in
English (Anbil Ramaswamy) from the "Gita Saaram" of Vaikuntavasi U.
Ve. Vidwan Saarasaarjna Tirukkallam Narasimha Raghava Chariar Swami.
====================================================================================================================================¯ter
 describing the greatness of the 1st Adhyayam, Lord Siva
commenced narrating the glory of the 2nd Adhyayam exactly as narrated
by Bhagavan to Mahalakshmi.

Bhagavan said: " Oh! Mahalakshmi! There was a Brahmin called
DEVASARMA in the city of PUNDRAM. In spite of his great learning of
the Sastras and performing Yaaga, Yajna etc., he had no peace of
mind. He retired to the forest and served the Sages there. One day,
he chanced to meet a great Sage and prayed to him to expatiate on the
means to acquire peace of mind. The Sage directed him to approach a
shepherd by name "MITRAVAAN" in the city called "PUNYAM" on the banks
of River Godavari. Thereupon, Deva Sarma went to meet Mitravaan. who
was in deep meditation. When he opened his eyes and asked Deva Sarma
the purpose of his visit, Deva Sarma pleaded for advice on his
problem.

MITRAVAAN said:
"Oh! Deva Sarma! There is a town called PRATHISH TANAM on the banks
of this very Godavari. There lived a Brahmin called DURMATHAN, who
though born in the highest caste did not conduct himself as befitting
his birth. He eked out his living by serving a king called VIKRAMAN.

When Durmathan died, he was reborn again as a Brahmin. Due to
his "Karmavasanas", he married a prostitute who had a Chandala as her
clandestine illegitimate lover. She got a girl baby through this man.
Durmathan was heartbroken and died. The prostitute also died from a
deadly disease and became a ghost. The ghost feasted on the dead body
of a hunter.

In the next birth, the hunter was born as a tiger while the
prostitute was born as a lamb and lived in a herd of sheep reared by
me. Suddenly, the tiger pounced upon the lamb, ignoring me and the
other sheep in the herd. The lamb tried to run away but the tiger
would not let its prey escape so easily and started chasing the lamb.
I was curious to know why it chose that particular lamb and not
others. So, I also ran following them.

As the hunting tiger and the hunted lamb reached a temple. the lamb
turned to the tiger and said:
" Oh! Tiger! You can never destroy me because my soul as well as
yours are indestructible and are permanent. You may kill my body and
eat it up but you can do no harm to my soul. Now, I willingly submit
myself to you to butcher me and eat my corpse"

The tiger replied:
Oh! Lamb! Why would I kill you? I realize that both of us are living
beings and subject to Bhagavan. It is our bodies that suffer from
disease and death all due to our respective Karmas. When you were a
ghost, you tortured me and ate me up. But, I realize that you did not
do it on purpose or out of your own volition. It is Bhagavan who made
you an instrument to punish me for my wrongdoing. So, I will not kill
you"

The two were wondering how they did not get this realization earlier
to coming to the temple. As they saw me following, they turned to me
to ask for an explanation for this change of heart. But, I was as
confused as they were and could not figure out an answer.

At that time there appeared a monkey before us, laughed and said:
" I know the secret reason behind this metamorphosis. Look at the
temple that stands yonder. The Vigraham there was installed by Brahma
himself. A Brahmin priest was doing worship there. Though he was well
versed in the Vedas and Vedangas, he had no peace of mind - because
he had no clue as to the nature of the soul or as to the means of
liberation. One day, a Mahan came to the temple and enquired the
priest the reason for his melancholy. The priest narrated his
predicament and requested the Mahan to advise him. The Mahan
inscribed on a stone slab, the text of the 2nd Chapter of Bhagavad
Gita and asked him to recite the same daily and if he did that, he
would gain peace of mind".

The monkey continued:
"As directed by the Mahan, the priest recited the 2nd Chapter of Gita
daily and attained peace of mind. The remarkable thing is that not
only the priest but also all those who visited the temple derived the
same benefit and got rid of their "Kaama" and "Krodha". So, if you
also desire peace of mind, go, read the inscription and recite the
same daily. You will be blessed with all that you need."

The Shepherd said:
" As instructed, I have been faithfully reciting the 2nd Chapter with
the result that I am now free from "Kaama" and "Krodha" and am calm
and clear in my mind. So, if you want such a state, go, find an
Acharya, get Upadesa from him on the 2nd Chapter and recite the same
daily".

Deva Sarma accordingly approached a Mahan, got initiated into the 2nd
Chapter recited it daily and attained all the best in his life.

Bhagavan said:
Oh! Mahalakshmi! For those who recite the 2nd chapter with devotion
as did Deva Sarma, there is nothing in the world that they cannot get"

Lord Siva said:
Oh! Paarvati! I have narrated to you the glory of the 2nd Chapter
exactly as the Lord narrated it to Mahalakshmi. Even those who listen
to the glory of this Chapter will "Live happily thereafter"

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list