You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00077 Aug 2004

Dear SrI Sreenivas :

There are a lot of questions in your mail that
need detailed answers .

For now , let me answer the quick ones .

1. ParamaikAnthis do not ask for anything
from the Lord except Moksham . If they ask for
anything , it will be to have the material to perform
His aarAdhanam or wanting to have a vajra sarIram to engage
in His Kaimakryam and AarAdhanam . It will be to have
a husband or wife to perform AarAdhanam for
the Lord well . Our Lord can give every thing
(Kaamya Phalans ) including the highest of
PurushArTam , Moksha Sukham that He alone
can give.

2. Mantra/Tantra/Yantra are intricately related.
There are a few postings in the Bhakthi  andOppiliappan
Lists by myself from previopus years . I will write again
in detail and add a new perspective on their interrelationship.

3 . In Kerala , Nrusimha Tantram in particular is
most famous. Whatever you referred to about
its omnipotence of Nrusimha Tantram is True.
The Yanthram consecrated by SrI NrusimhAnushtup
manthram is one which can not be matched in
power or PrabhAvam . Lord GuruvAyUrappan is
worshipped in KrishNa Tantram methods .

4 .  Yanthrams are usually worshipped with
the ArchA Moorthys . Those Yanthrams are
inscribed on Copper plates and consecrated .
The DhanaakarshaNa Yanthram at Lord SrinivAsan's
sannidhi at Thiruppathi is an example. Sri Raja RajEswari
Yanthram at KaamAkshi Amman Sannidhi at Kaanchi
is another example.

5. SrI RanganAtha PaadhukA sahasram's Chithra
Paddhathi has many powerful Yanthrams ; some are
drawn as Kolams on each day of the week before
their home altars and the japam on appropriate
SlOkam is done for the realization of specific wishes .
The hand written Yanthram by Swamy  Desikan on
Raama Padhuka (SlOkam 949) with the ashta daLa
Padhmam ( Eight petalled Lotus with Raama PaadhukAs
at the Center ) is a powerful Yanthram for worship .

6. Mantra Saasthram is closely linked with Aagamaas
and Tantra . Mantra Saasthrams teach us on the ways
to draw Yanthrams ( geometrical representation of
Manthrams) for bhAya AarAdhanam of Archa Moorthys .
Mantra MahOdadhi of Mahidhara ( composed in 1588 C.E
based on earlier texts ) , TantrasAra Sangraha of KeraLa
are good sources on MantrAs and YantrAs.

7. Aagama and Tantra are closely tied to the VedAs.
Nigama (Vedam) and Aagama are the two pillars of
Sanaatana dharmam .

8. VedAs deal with performance of Yj~nams and UpAsanaa for
as the means for enhancing the knowledge of the Supreme
Self . The Tantraas deal with the practical details of
the saadhana of UpAsana .

9. Aagama and Tantras can be broken into six categories :
Saiva , Saaktha , VaishNava , GaaNapahtya , Soura and KaumAra.
SivAgamAs are 28 in number .

10. For us the most important are the VaishNava AagamAs:
PaancharAthra and VaikAnasa aagamams. Aagamams in
general deal with four aspects : Charyai , Kriyai ,
Yogam and Jn~Anam . The first two deal with the devotee's
duties and the Temple worship procedures .  The root of
PaancharAthra Aagamam is rcognized as yEkAyana
Veda Saakhai and hence the links of Aagamam ( Tantram)
are clear. Further Paancha Raathra Samhithais arose
from the Lord Himself.

11. PaancharAthra Aagamam has many samhithAs
( NaaradhIya , Paadhma , Isvara, Saathvatha , Paushkara ,
JayAkhya  , Hayaseerasha , SrIPrasna et al.
The importance of Aagamams have been established
by the PoorvAchArya works ( Aagama PrAmANyam ) and
PaancharAthra RakshA by Swamy Desikan .

12. There are siddhAntha BhEdhams in PaancharAthram:
Aagaa SiddhAntham , Manthra SiddhAntham ,
Tanthra SiddhAntham and TanthrAnthara SiddhAntham .
All of these are recognized by Swamy Desikan
as leading to the realization and attainemnt of
Brahman ( Brahma PrApthi).

13. These four siddhAnthams should not be mixed up
in observances . ParihAram should be performed if
there is sankara dhOdsham ( admixtures).

14. VaikAnasam and PaancharAthram should not
be observed in the same temple. For instance ,
Prathishtai done in VaikAnasa Method will require
Aaraadhanam by VaikAnasa Bhattars and not by
PaancharAthra Bhattars. You have to be born into
VaikAnasa Family and can not be inducted later .
PaancharAthra Aagamam is more geenrous as to
who can be given dheekshai.

15. At Sri RanganAtha Temple , Pomona ,  NY ,
JayAkhya Samhitha method of worship is followed .
Oppiliaapan Sannidhi , Thiruvaheendhrapuram
sannidhi follow VaikAnasa Aagama . Srirangam and
Kaanchi follow and most other temples follow
PaancharAtra Aagamam .

This amil has gotten longer than I intended .
Hence I stop here .

V.Sadagopan