You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00082 Aug 2004

Dear Swamy,

I will just clarify ur question by a single line question :

Why should the phalasruti be composed along with the sloka?

It can be composed later after really Swamy realising that this stotra &
Hayagreeva upasana has lead him to this glory- hence his realisation is
recorded as phalasruti to the mankind.

Sajjana Padapadma parama renuhu

Lakshmi Narasimha dasaha

"Srikanth H.R." <hrsriks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Respected Bhagavatas,

Today when I was chanting the Hayagriva stotram
of Swami Desikan, I suddenly got a doubt. I request
the learned scholars to clarify.

In the phalashruti, Swami Desikan says

"vAgartha siddhihEtoh paThata hayagrIva samstutim
bhaktyA |
kavi-tArkika-kEsariNA vEnkaTanAthEna
virachitAmetAm||"

According to my understanding the Hayagriva stotram
was Swami Desikan's first composition.

Also, from the Desika-gadya I understand that the
title of KAVI-TARKIKA-SIMHA has conferred on Swami
Desikan by SriRanganatha himself when Swami composed
the Paduka-sahasram.
(eka yAminI yAma nirmita padukA sahasra....vismaya
rangeSa viSrANita kavi-tArkika-simha samAkhyA
vikhyAta vaidagdhya)

This being the case, how did Swami Desikan refer
to himself as "kavi-tArkika-simha" in the first
composition itself? Was he aware that he would
get that title in future?

Swami Desikan Tiruvadigale Saranam
dasan,
Srikanth