You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00085 Aug 2004

Dear All,

The verses in the sloka roughly translated

"vaagartha siddhihetoH
 paThata hayagriivasaMstutiM bhaktyaa .

 the Hayagriva stotram read  with devotion would help in  attaining fluency
over words and true knowledge about the Truth.

and

 kavitaarkika kesariNaa
veN^kaTanaathena virachitaametaam.h .. 33 ..

that this stotra is composed by Venkatanatha, the lion among the composers and
those that excel in debates

As these words are found in the phalsruthi one can assume that these are
composed later.

But one doubt still persists - that is whether Swami Desikan would have himself
stated  - "  lion among the composers and those that excel in debates"?

Possibly they could have been added subsequently by Swami Desika's son and
disciple, Nainacharya or Kumara Varadacharya ?

Because  in his Desika Mangalam, Pillai Antaadi, and Desika Dinacharyai he has
recorded some  biographical details of his father.....

Kavitarkika Simhaya Kalyana GunashalinE
Srimathe Venkateshaya Vedanta GuravE Namaha

Srimathi Venkatachari Raghavan

"Srikanth H.R." <hrsriks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Respected Bhagavatas,

Today when I was chanting the Hayagriva stotram
of Swami Desikan, I suddenly got a doubt. I request
the learned scholars to clarify.

In the phalashruti, Swami Desikan says

"vAgartha siddhihEtoh paThata hayagrIva samstutim
bhaktyA |
kavi-tArkika-kEsariNA vEnkaTanAthEna
virachitAmetAm||"

According to my understanding the Hayagriva stotram
was Swami Desikan's first composition.

Also, from the Desika-gadya I understand that the
title of KAVI-TARKIKA-SIMHA has conferred on Swami
Desikan by SriRanganatha himself when Swami composed
the Paduka-sahasram.
(eka yAminI yAma nirmita padukA sahasra....vismaya
rangeSa viSrANita kavi-tArkika-simha samAkhyA
vikhyAta vaidagdhya)

This being the case, how did Swami Desikan refer
to himself as "kavi-tArkika-simha" in the first
composition itself? Was he aware that he would
get that title in future?

Swami Desikan Tiruvadigale Saranam
dasan,
Srikanth