You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00027 Aug 2005

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest all,

On this great day of Sri GodhA PiraaTTi's (Sri AndAL)
Thirunakshathram, let us pay our obeisance to the
Lotus Feet of Sri AndaL by dwelling on Her word
"naanEthaan ayiduga" (in 15th pAsuram of Thiruppaavai)
(meaning: may be -I am at fault). NaanE than aayiduga
means: Let naan (I) be what I should
actually be- i.e. being eternal servant- daasan of
Emperumaan. (naan )naanEthan aayiduga.

Please forgive me for my free translations (though not
error free). This article elaborated mainly on
"naanEthaan ayiduga" is based on one of the
pamphlets that are released regularly under "Project
Popularization of Swamy Desika's works" by Sri U Ve. C
Seshadri of Chennai. This particular one was
released on the 80th Thirunakshathram of
asmadhacharyan Srimad PaRavaakkOttai Andavan Sri
Gopaladesika Mahadesikan (8.4.2000).  This is
from Srimad Rahasyathrayasaram of Swamy Desikan -
SwanishTa abhignaana adhikaaram. (Chapter-14).

(This is ONLY intended to remind ourselves of these
Athma guNAs that we need to inculcate and cultivate-
for us, Srivaishnavas, who have surrendered to
the Lotus Feet of Sriya: Pathi Sriman Narayanan. This
is vaishnava lakshaNam to DEVELOP cultivating these
guNAs. I always relish referring to Sri
KooratthAzhwAn's glory again and again on his GREATEST
ATHMA guNAs.

This post is more of my loud thinking to rectify
myself.. Or at least attempt.- start attempting. It is
NOT an overnight phenomenon. It requires us to have
the "real" feeling of "jIvan's" true nature of
belonging to Sriya: Pathi as His sEshan- His vasthu,
His possession- His eternal servant

Swarupa nishtai:

1. If we happen to listen to the statements
(derogatory) about us, like "He is short; He is dark;
He is of ugly face; He is lame; He is stupid- not
intelligent; He is of low caste" and any other abusive
statements, do not worry. These statements are all for
our body (sarIram) and nothing of that
sort relates to our AthmA, which is permanent, pure
always. Hence, we do not need to scold back or howl at
them for such statement; nor we need to sulk
and feel remorseful.

2. Further, if someone really scolds or abuses us with
such statements as above, or any other disparaging
remarks against us, feel sorry for him that he
unnecessarily incurs paapams (sins) by such statements
and pray to Emperumaan to have krupai on him (remember
Sri KooratthAzhwAn forgiving Nalooraan).

3. Sometime, we may not adhere to saaasthras (I always
fall in this category) and due to laziness, or
exertion, may skip some deed; if someone finds us with
that defect and corrects us, we should not get angry
for being caught red handed; instead, we need to feel
thankful and be grateful to him for correcting us at
the most appropriate time. (Once ThirukkOshtiyoor
Swamy due to feeling tired, leaned on a pillar in
Srirangam temple during VaikuNTa EkAdashi festival,
another person (like me, waiting to find someone at
fault), approached Swamy and pointed that Swamy should
not do that being an AchArya. (One is not supposed to
lean on and relax in Bhagawath Sannidhi). Immediately
Swamy apologized and thanked him for correcting him.
He felt indebted to him for preventing him do that
apacharam which he had
committed without even realizing that he was doing.)
What a quality!

4. Even when one finds us committing apacharams and
tells us, we need to consider as if Emperumaan is
speaking to us through him to correct us and consider
it a Divine will. We should not think of any ill
against such people. Even when it is false
accusations, we should think that Emperumaan is only
testing us for balanced mind to face insults.

5. When one accuses without proper analysis, and
without any reason, only based on prejudices, we
should feel delighted that our praarabhdha karma is
getting dissolved by through his such false
accusations and be thankful to Emperumaan for enabling
us get dissolved of our praarabdha karma so easily.

UpAya nishtai:

1. Except for SarvEshawaran, Sriya: Pathi Sriman
Narayanan, we and our family (wife, children) are not
servants or daasa bhUthars to anyone else.

2. Even when we are in the evening of our life, or
suffering from deadly disease, and are going to die,
since we have already surrendered to Emperumaan, we
should feel happy that the time has come to unite with
Him at SrivaikuNtam through archiraadhi maargam.
(soozhuvisum panimugil thooriyam muzhakkina.- TVM
10.9) and gladly welcome death with smiling face. We
should know fully well that we are going to be sitting
on the soft lap of our Father Sri Parama padha nAthan
looking and enjoying His red coral like lips and be
along with His samastha parivaaram.- Nithyars and
mukhthars.

3. Having surrendered to the Sriya: Pathi, we should
not worry about our protection and not be scared of
any event happening. He is there to protect us and
whatever happens is His Divine will. (It need not be
what we desire. It will be what He desires for us.)

4. Having surrendered to the Sriya: Pathi, we should
not undertake any other means (like bhakti yOgam). We
have surrendered to Him with an unflinching faith
(mahAviswaasam). He has already taken a pledge to save
us from all sins and has assured us Not to worry. (so
why worry?) We should not do some yaagams /homams or
any other karmas simply because it is going to give us
some puNyam, but simply as Bhagawath preethyartham.

5. Having surrendered to the Sriya: Pathi, We should
always think that it is all in Emperumaan's will to
alleviate our sorrows and to grant us something
good until our death. Whatever happens is for good.

Purushaartha nishtai:

1. Having surrendered to the Sriya: Pathi, we should
NEVER ever seek for material comforts, nor should we
unduly be worried about some problems occurring at
home with our family, - with a thinking that
everything is happening only due to praarabhdha karma.

2. By worrying about anything, nothing gets resolved.
It has to happen as per Bhagawath sankalpam. - With
that jnAnam, we should not brood about the
domestic problems occurring.

3. If there is some unexpected wealth or comfort comes
our way also (of course through dharmic way), we
should not shun them. We should consider them as
Bhagawath sankalpam and think that that is way to get
rid of (praarabdha karma phalam) puNyams as they will
also be stumbling block for SrivaikuNTa prApthi.

4.  We should view both happiness and sorrows equally
with a balanced mind and have ruchi (taste) only for
kaimkaryam to Emperumaan Sriya: Pathi Sriman
Narayanan.

5. Having surrendered to the Sriya: Pathi, we should
develop an intense desire (tvarai) for the Paramapadha
prApthi and utter Dwayam, (contemplating
its esoteric deep meaning) at all times.

All above qualities are for us, Srivaishnavas, who
have surrendered to Emperumaan Sriya: Pathi Sriman
Narayanan.

If we attempt to inculcate and cultivate these guNAs,
Sri AndAL and AchAtya saarva bhouman Swamy Desikan
will be pleased.

Any mistake in the above writing is only mine;
anything good is due to the great article written by
the author.

Before winding up:

As Bhagyasaalis (fortunate ones) belonging to Sri
Ramanuja dharsanam- our Srivaishnava Sampradayam, let
us remind ourselves of:

Tatvam:

(1) Sentient soul- Jeevathman;
(2) achith - Insentient matter
(3) Iswaran- Emperumaan Sriya: Pathi Sriman Narayanan-
sEshi (master- owner) for both Chit and Achit

Hitham- (means- way) the Lotus Feet of Emperumaan
Sriya: Pathi Sriman Narayanan, through Bhakti yOgam or
Prapatti (saraNAgathy)

AND

Purushaartham- Eternal ceaseless service at the Lotus
Feet of Sriya: pathi Sriman Narayanan.

THIS IS OUR SAMPRADAYAM.
Let us pay out ananthakOTi praNamams at the lotus feet
of Sri ANdAL.

Sri AndAL ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
Regards
namo narayana