You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00107 Aug 2007

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

I want to share with all of you, my doubt on periyaazhvaar paasuram so that some of you, oh learned members, may provide me the necessary clarification. Before I express what is my doubt, let us see some points.

We know the "periya aazhvaar" or "maamanaar aazhvaar" or the "yasodhaa aazhvaar" followed closely the 'sreemadh bhaagavatham' while singing that 'kaNNan piLLaith thamizh' – the 'krishNa's baala leelaas' which are known as "periyaazhvaar thirumozhi" in particular the first 273 verses, viz. upto 3-6 naavalam theevil padhigam.

Some samples are presented here to see how close it is --

A: the very first paasuram of aazhvaar 1-1-1:

thaa aasisha: prayunjaanaas chiram paaheethi baalakE |

haridhra choorna thailadhbhih sinchanthyo janam ujjaguh || 10-5-12

TRANSLATION

Offering blessings to the newborn child, KrishNa, the wives and daughters of the cowherd men said, "May You become the King of Vraja and long maintain all its inhabitants." They sprinkled a mixture of turmeric powder, oil and water upon the birthless Supreme Lord and offered their prayers.

[Note: 10 - is dhasama skandham 5 - is the sargam 12 - is the slokam number].

Now aazhvaar paasuram:

vaNNa maadangaL soozh thirukkOttiyoor

kaNNan kEsavan nimbi piRandhinil

eNNai chuNNam edhir edhir thoovida

kaNNan muRRam kalandhu aLar aayiRRE   - 1-1-1

that haridhra choornam thailam aadhibhi sinchanthi - has become eNNai chuNNam edhir edhir thoovida. Sri Periya vaachaan piLLai – PVP - interprets this third line as – eNNaiyaiyum manchaL podiyaiyum harshaththaalE kaLiththu oruvarkoruvar edhirththuth thoova – means chuNNam – that haridhraa choorNam is Sanskrit only is confirmed by PVP.

B. paasuram 1-1-2:

soumangalya girO vipraa: sootha maagadhha vandhinah |

gaayakaas cha jagur nEdhur bhEryO dhundhubhayO muhu: || 10-5-5

TRANSLATION

The brahmanas recited auspicious Vedic hymns, which purified the environment by their vibration. The experts in reciting old histories like the PuraanNaas, the experts in reciting the histories of royal families, and general reciters all chanted, while singers sang and many kinds of musical instruments, like bheris and dundubhis, played in accompaniment.

Oduvaar vizhuvaar ugandhu aalippaar

naaduvaar nam piraan engu uRRaan enbaar

paaduvaargaLum pal paRai kotta ninRu

aaduvaargaLum aayiRRu aaippaadiyE

singers sang – paaduvaargaL. palpaRai kotta – bhEri dhundhubhi nEdhu:

C: paasuram 1-1-4

gOpaa: parasparam hrshTa dhadhhi ksheera ghruthambubhi: |

aasinchanthO vilimpanthO navaneethais cha chikshipu: || 10- 5-14

TRANSLATION

In gladness, the cowherd men enjoyed the great festival by splashing one another's bodies with a mixture of curd, milk, butter and water. They threw butter on one another and smeared it on one another's bodies.

uRiyai muRRaththu urutti ninRu aaduvaar

naRu nei paal thayir nanRaagath thoovuvaar

seRimen koondhal avizhath thiLaiththu engum

aRivu azhindhanar aayippaadi aayarE. 1-1-4

This tamil verse is closely following that slokam – dhadhhi ksheera ghrutha – nei paal thayir – in the reverse order – perhaps that 'hrushta' – santhOsham – happiness - made aazhvaar to reverse it.   Dear Sirs – my intention here - is to show how closely aazhvaar follows sukha brahmam.

Let us continue in next post

 Dhasan

 Vasudevan m.g.

--