You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Dec 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00083 Dec 2003

Dec 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear fellow members,

My name is A.N.Neelakantan (an_neelakantan@xxxx).

I am personally confused on many issues on mythology of Mahabharat,
and wanted your views on these issues to clarify my need to find the
TRUTH.

After reading 2 books on Hinduism I have learnt to question
everything but the Ultimate truth of the `ONE TRUE GOD'. However
mythology has come to my aid on many issues, but also brought much
confusion to my thought process. Although I believe in Krishna as a
GOD and practice Krishna Jayanti every year, I would like to be
impressed by your wisdom on the questions mentioned below.

(The two books I studied are Hinduism' by `RC Zaehner' 1996 Oxford
publication and `Am I a Hindu?' by `Ed Viswanathan'.)

1. Krishna was asked by Yudhishtra to go to Dhuryodhan and seek
only 5 villages for 5 Pandav brothers, which Krishna being God
himself, could have accomplished with ease. Then why did Krishna
allowed the situation to go out of control, that ultimately lead to
war between brothers?

2. During the war also Krishna made Yudhishtra tell a half lie
to `Dhronacharya' about the death of `Ashwathama', (Ashwathama was
the name of Dhronacharya's son and also a name of an elephant which
was killed by Bishma because of Krishna's strategy, so as to reduce
Dhronacharya's morale in the war, specifically because Dhronacharya
alone could have defeated the Pandavas?) Why did Krishna firstly
allow the war to start and after it started made the truthful person
like Yudhishtra tell a lie (or half-truth) to Dhoroacharya about
Ashwathama's death? So is lying allowed for war?

3. What was the cause for Mahabharata when Yudhishtra with his
wife and brothers renounced the same kingdom after they won the war.
Yudhishtra completely disagreed with Krishna's teachings and reason
for war and Krishna also could not stop Yudhishtra from renouncing
the thrown at that point? Why? (Had Yudhishtra renounced the request
for 5 villages as per the 2nd question. Could this war between
brothers be prevented?)

4. Did Yudhishtra go to Heaven or Hell? (Because he had the
chance to visit both because of Lord Indra). (The above stated books
give different answers to the above situation)

5.Why did Krishna took Ghandhari (Dhuryodhan's mother) to the
battlefield and make her see the dead bodies of all her 100 sons?
Then, why did Krishna allow the extinction of himself and his whole
clan (due to Ghandhari's Curse)? (I have learnt that hurting oneself
is better than hurting others. So this question.)

6.Arjuna asked the question to Krishna, as to `Under what
authority is he giving advice to him on the battlefield'? So is my
first question to u all, as to `Under what authority are you all
going to base your answers?'

pls enlighten me!

adiyen
Ganaesh.