You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Dec 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00090 Dec 2003

Dec 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear friends,

(13) "nann-nAllAL kallaN tavirndhu kalandhu?"

The word "kalandhu", meaning 'jointly' or 'together',
is the key operative word indeed underscoring the
theme of 'satsangh' in this verse.

"Setting aside all the wicked and vicious ways and all
the wonted folly of our lives? we must come together
in holy 'satsangh'" even if it is for but a brief,
redeeming moment?" Such is the sentiment that we may
read behind the expression "kallan tavirndhu?
"nann-nAllAL kalandhu?"

Individual Man is a grievously imperfect creature? and
it is what the word "kallan" too may be taken to mean.
As individuals we are all nothing but bundles of
crassness and corruption, ignorance and ignominy.
Swami NammAzhwAr, the great Vedantic saint of
Vaishnavism, described the human condition as "unholy
amalgam of delusion, decadence and decay":

 "poi-ninra gnyAnamUm, pollA-ozhukkUm,
azhukk-udambammUm?"
            ("tiru-viruttam" Verse 2)

Every moment in life spent mingling with a 'satsangh',
however, promises to redeem man from his rather sad,
sorry individual state. We may ask, "How is this
possible?"

When a whole choir sings, it is the overall
orchestrated effect that comes through stridently.
Off-key or discordant notes of individual singers in
the choir escape unnoticed. Even if they do get
noticed, they tend to be quickly overlooked or easily
pardoned. The deficiencies or blemishes of the
individual voice simply submerge into the larger sea
of soothing symphony without a trace.

Similarly, "kallan" or the wickedness of individual
Man gets entirely drowned out by the wave of goodness
("nann-nAllAL") on the crest of which the 'satsangh'
rides in quest of eternal redemption.

               (to be continued)

Regards,

dAsan,