You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00069 Feb 2003

At 03:57 AM 1/13/03 -0800, you wrote:

>dear vaishnavates
>
> i had chance of reading file ART OF LIVING which is in our groups
website about life of swami vedanta desikan.he prescribes 9 steps for moksha
...though author has given examples about each step especially first 5 steps
...i want to still clarrify about VIVEKAM?....like arjuna asked lord krishna
in geetha ...how an yogi will walk ,sleep ,behave am also having doubts
about it ..i want all intellectual persons of this group to guide me ..pls
help me in this regard

>regards
>
>venkiiyyengar ,chennai

> Srimathe Rangaramanuja Mahadesikaya Namaha
> Srimathe Srinivasa Ramanuja Mahadesikaya Namaha
> Srimathe Vedantha Ramanuja Mahadesikaya Namaha
> ----------------------------------
>VENKATAKRISHAN.G
>M.E VLSI design II sem
>ANNA UNIVERSITY ,COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING GUINDY

SrI:

Dear SrI Venkatakrishnan:

I will try to respond to your first question on "VivEkam"
in this response. The topic of VivEkam is discussed
by Swamy Desikan at the very beginning . I will summarize
the nine steps associated with the travel to Moksham
and describe thereafter the specifics on Vivekam .

Yes, Swamy Desikan has dealt at length the need for
VivEkam at the very beginning of His rajasya Grantham ,
SrI Parama Padha SOpAnam . I t is the first of the nine steps
of that ladder to Moksha Journey .The nine steps of
this ladder(SOpAnam) are :

1. VivEka SOpAnam ( The anugraham of VivEkam acquired from
the UpadEsam of a sadAchAryan on Tatthva VivEkam,
nithyAnithya Vasthu VivEkam et al).More about VivEkam
at the next section of this posting .

2. NirvEdha SOpAnam (development of disgust over the aeons
spent at toiling in SamsArais sufferings)

3. Virakthi SOpAnam( Detatchment from all endeavours that
are assoicated with evanescent "pleasures " through
the development of NirvEdham thru the acquisition of
VivEkam ).

4. Bheethi SOpAnam ( As the One , who has acquired
VivEkam , experienced NirvEdham and gianed Virakthi ,
he is overcome by fear about the fruits of the karmAs and
hastens to seek the means for Moksham ).

5. PrasAdhana SOpAnam ( The One who has gianed VivEkam ,
developed disgust over samsAric entanglements , enriched
himself with detatchment /VairAgyam and fear of furhter
samsAric sufferings , he seeks the protection of
the Lord's boon granting Thiruvadis).This is about
the performance of UpAyams like Prapatthi at the feet of
the Dhivya Dampathis.

6. UthkramaNa SOpAnam ( The SOpAnam dealing with the ascent of
the Prapanna's Jeevan form the physical cage of his body).
EmperumAn's special help at this important stage (starting
stage of the Journey to Parama Padham) is covered.

7. ArchirAdhi SOpAanam( The journey to SrI vaikuntam
upto the stage of reaching the river VirajA and the honors
recieved from the Lord's servants on this journey ).

8. Dhivya dEsa prApthi SOpAnam ( The stage of the Journey
after crossing the VirajA river and the stage when the Liberated
soul has the blessing of darsana soubhAgyam of EmperumAn
seated on AdhisEshan is covered here).

9. PrApthi SOpAnam ( Approaching the EmperumAn and
recieving the blessings of the placement of the Lord's
sacred feet on the Muktha Jeevan's head and ataining
the boon of Kaimkarya SaamArAjyam and enjoying
ParipoorNa BrahmAnandham through nithya Kaimkaryam
to SrI VaikuntanAthan is covered here ).

We will focus on Vivekam , the first step
in the next posting .

(To Be continued)
Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan

Home Page