You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00026 Feb 2004

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest Srivaishnavas,

I was listening to the audio cassette on life of
KooratthAzhwAn today being his Thirunakshathram
(delivered by Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami). As we are
already aware any time, Kuresa's life brings us tears
in our eyes.. DarsanitthukkA darshanaik kodutthavar..
who can be equal to KooratthAzhwAn?

I had posted this few years ago; but it is still
appropriate to relish the same again on this TN of
AzhwAn: for your enjoyment.

Sri Velukkudi Swamy took a nice Gita slokam to explain
the AthmaguNAs of Sri KooratthAzhwAn. I would like to
mention that here so that we can attempt to
ape and inculcate a fraction of these gunAs. That can
be the new year
resolution, isn?t it?

amaanithvam, adhambithvam, ahimsaa, kshaanthi:,
aarjavam/ aachaarya upaasanam, saucham, sthairyam,
aathmavinigraha:// (GitA- Ch 13- 8)

Very simple slOka: (since Velukkudi Swamy explained it
so beautifully, I would like to share) I am not going
to explain how it refers to Sri KooratthAzhwAn (it
should be heard from Swamy?s cassette and be enjoyed).
Let me just say what it means:

1. amaanithvam: Vidya garvam, dhana garvam, kula
garvam, etc.. is the feeling of pride for one?s
intelligence or knowledge (education), or wealth,
or kulam (that he is from great family, Bharadwaja
gOthram etc..), and that one is good looking, is all
called ?maanam? One who has it is maanee. Amaanee  is
the one who does not have these prides. Means: the
moment one has this pride, other Bhagawathas will be
looked down, by him, means- he commits BhAgawatha
apacharam. [one can of course have saatvIka
ahankaaram- viNNellAm uNdO vilai?]

2. adhamibithvam- no dhmbam- no blowing of one?s own
trumpet: If one does some good deed, dharmam, like
contributing to some Divya Desam or for some
kaimkaryam, he shall not blow his trumpet.. It is His
money, He takes it for His temple.. We are only
instrumental, as a messenger.

3. ahimsaa: not only in action, also by speech, and
thought, we need to avoid hurting other ?beings?; not
just human beings,- all beings...

4. kshaanthi: patience- At any point of time, one
should avoid anger. We can cultivate anger- i.e.
pretending anger.. but not getting angry.. (Here, I am
not able to resist referring to KooratthAzhwAn?s
asking the Lord for the same good for Nalooran (who
was responsible for even the loss of AzhWan?s
eyesight) too as to what is being granted to him i.e.
mOksham by the Lord

5. aarjavam- manas, vaak, body (kaayam)- all shall be
same working in tandem.. What the mind thinks, the
mouth shall speak.. (not vaay vaazhaipazham, kai
karuNaikkizhangu.). what one speaks, the body shall
act.. uLLonru vaitthu puRamonRu pEsaadhirutthal..
Otherwise, it will be kapatam.. That is the lakshaNam
of dhuraathmA; not mahAthmA.

6. Aachaarya upaasanam- praising one?s AchAryan at all
times- thinking of Him at all times- having a thought
that whatever jnAnam that one possesses,
(sathvishayam) is all due to being His Thiruvadi. We
need to prostrate Him, very many times, ask, enquire
respectfully, and get our ?doubts? clarified.
We need to perfrom kaimkaryam to Him (of not
physically, at least monetarily..- by allocating some
funds from the earning..). We need to celebrate His
Thirunakshathram, in a grand manner at our home, with
family and children, recite His thaniyan, and saying ?
SrimathE ?????? Namah: as many times as possible on
that day at least (108, 1008 times..)

7.  Saucham- parisuddhi.. one shall be pure.. means:
one has to perform necessarily the nithya karmas like
sandhyavandhanam. We need to be pure, physically and
mentally.. dhVesham (feeling jealous), telling lies..
is all asuddham (dirt to our mind..) what is said as
anAchAram, to be avoided in Ahara niyamam, one needs
to avoid as much as we can.. Avoid ?as much as
possible?, para annam (hotels- eating outside) not
that we disrespect, but that it may contaminate our
already contaminated minds..

8. sthairyam: being steady.. Firmness- That is
essential. This can be achieved only when we have no
confusion or be influence by non-vedic statements
/arguments. (Sri Velukkudi Swamy said ?just by a
simple reading of
the meaning /commentary of Sri Alavandhar?s SthOthra
Rathnam, one can get all their doubts clarified.. Very
true.. There are commentaries of Swamy
desikan, Periya vaachanpiLLai. On this great hymn..
Really marvellous.. all our queries on tattvatrayam,
Vishitadvaitham, anya dEvathA will all vanish..)
the best option is: Just stay as AchArya Thiruvadi..
means: What our AchAryan says is TRUTH.. Close your
ears for other things.. Where Acharyan goes.. is where
the Thiruvadi will go.. It can not go separately..

9. aathmavinigarah: - means: Other than the knowledge
of actual swaroopam of jIvAthmA (which is being
dhaasabhootham / sEshan / servant  of  Emperumaan
Sriya: Pathi Sriman Narayanan), any other jnAnam /
longing for any other shall be KILLED (or in other
words, CURTAILED..)

Please forgive adiyEn, if it sounds preaching. That is
not the intent. I was so inspired by this slOkam when
Sri Velukkudi Swamy referred to, I wished to
share and would like to remind ourselves for
inculcating the above nine qualities and start (if not
already being followed) on this great TN of
KooratthAzhwAn who was the personifcation of
AthmaguNaas.
Acharyan ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana