You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00027 Feb 2004

--- In SriRangaSri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, s.ramachandran@xxxx wrote:
> It  is  therefore,  extremely  critical and mandatory for the
Sandhya to be> performed  without  fail.   It  is  quite  surprising
that Shri Vishnu has> questioned  the  efficacy  of  Sandhya  and
perhaps thinks of replacing the> Sandhya  with 'namaa' chanting. Come
what may, the Sandhya is a nitya karma> ordained  by  the  Vedas
and  no  one  is  excused.  Dilution  of  Sandhya> requirements  are
therefore  out  of  question.   One may dilute all other
> rituals, worship etc. but not the Sandhya.

                      *******************

Dear Sri Ramachandran,

What you say above is absolutely consistent with the 'sAstra'. Anyone
who suggests otherwise will be doing a disservice to the
Vedanta 'mArga'.

The 'sandhyavandanam' is a 'nitya karma' which must be performed
without fail by everyone who owes allegiance to the 'vaideeka
matham'.

In the Bhagavath Gita Sri Krishna attests to the importance of
Gayatri at many places:

    "...mantrO aham..." (9.16) "I am mantra..."

    "...gAyatri chandasAm aham..." (10.35) "I am the gayatri chandas
(metre)"

Hence, to say anything against the "gayatri" and the "sandhyavandam"
will be an act of outright 'drOham' (betrayal) against our Vedantic
faith. It will also be an act of betrayal against our great 'achArya'
Sri RamanujAchArya for it is he in his "gIta-bhAshya" who wrote that
only 'asurA' or men of demonaic nature will fail to
perform "sandhyavandanam". In the "gita-bhAsya" while commenting on
Stanza 16.7 our "bhAsyakArar" wrote as follows:

  "na api cha AchAra:, tad bAhyAbhyantara-shoucham yEna
   sandhyAvandanAdina AchArENa jAyatE,
   sa api AchArA: tEshu na vidhyatE I
   tathA uktam:
   "sandhyAhInO' a-shuchi-nitya-manarha: sarvakarmasu" (Daksha-
smriti) iti II"

  meaning:

  "(The men of demonaic nature) do not perform right conduct such
as "sandhyavandana", twilight prayers etc by means of which internal
and external cleaniless arises -- such right conduct is alien to
them. For it is declared in the sAstra "He who does not perform
twilight prayers is always unholy and unfit for any other rites"
(Daksha smriti 2.23)""

Let anyone in our faith who wants to transgress the words of Sri
RamanujAchArya say whatever he wants against the 'sandhyavandanam'.
The rest of us should perform it without fail everyday of our life.
Let us not listen to words of 'asura-ic' nature.

Regards,

dAsan,
Sudarshan

Yahoo! Groups Links