You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00027 Feb 2007

SrI:
srImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:
Dearest all,

In his wonderful upanyasams, once Sri Velukkudi
Krishnan Swamy had referred a nice Gita slokam to
explain the AthmaguNAs of Sri KooratthAzhwAn.

I would like to reflect upon that sloka here so that
we can attempt to ape and inculcate a fraction of
these gunAs. That can be the great one to emulate on
his Thirunakshathram today being thai Hastham, isn?t
it?

amaanithvam, adhambithvam, ahimsaa, kshaanthi:,
aarjavam/
aachaarya upaasanam, saucham, sthairyam,
aathmavinigraha://
(GitA- Ch 13- 8)

Very simple slOka: (since Velukkudi Swamy explained it
so beautifully, I would like to share) I am not going
to explain how it refers to Sri
KooratthAzhwAn (it should be heard from Swamy?s
cassette- then only one can enjoy). Let me just say
what the sloka means [in crude language]

1. amaanithvam: Vidya garvam, dhana garvam, kula
garvam, etc.. is the feeling of pride for one's
intelligence or knowledge (vidyA garvam), or wealth
[dhanam], or kulam (that he is from great lineage/
family, Bharadwaja gOthram etc..), and that one is
good looking, learned etc..  is all called maanam; One
who has such a quality is maanee. [vanja mukkuRumbAm
kuzhiyai kadakkum num kooratthAzhwAn]

Amaanee  is the one who does not have these prides.
Means: the moment one has this pride, would look down
other Bhagawathas will be looked down, by him, means-
he commits BhAgawatha apacharam.

2. adhamibithvam- no dhmbam- no blowing of one?s own
trumpet: If one does some good deed, dharmam, like
contributing to some Divya Desam or for some charity,
he shall not blow his trumpet.. It is His money, He
takes it for the kamkarya.. We are only instruments,
as a messenger.

3. ahimsaa: not only in action, also by speech, and
thought, we need to avoid hurting other beings; not
just human beings,- all beings...Not even by thoughts.
We need to love the humanity and other beings as in
them, He dwells. Everyone and everything is His
property.

4. kshaanthi: patience- At any point of time, one
should avoid anger. We can cultivate anger- i.e.
pretending anger.. but not getting angry.. (Here, I am
not able to resist referring to KooratthAzhwAn?s
asking the Lord for the same good for Nalooran (who
was responsible for even the loss of AzhWan?s
eyesight) equal to what he himself is granted by the
Lord. i.e moksham.

5. aarjavam- manas, vaak, body (kaayam)- all shall be
same working in tandem.. What the mind thinks, the
mouth shall speak.. (not vaay vaazhaipazham, kai
karuNaikkizhangu.). what one speaks, the body shall
act.. uLLonru vaitthu puRamonRu pEsaadhirutthal..
Otherwise, it will be kapatam.. That is the lakshaNam
of dhuraathmA; not mahAthmA.

6. Aachaarya upaasanam- praising one?s AchAryan at all
times- thinking of Him at all times- having a thought
that whatever jnAnam that one possesses,
(sathvishayam) is all due to being His Thiruvadi. We
need to prostrate Him, very many times, ask, enquire
respectfully, and get our doubts clarified. We need to
perform kaimkaryam to Him (of not physically, at least
monetarily..- by allocating some funds from the
earning..). We need to celebrate His Thirunakshathram,
in a grand manner at our home, with family and
children, recite His thaniyan, and saying SrimathE
Gopaladesikaya  Namah: as many times as possible on
that day at least (108, 1008 times..)

7.  Saucham- parisuddhi.. one shall be pure.. means:
one has to perform
necessarily the nithya karmas like sandhyavandhanam.
We need to be pure, physically and mentally.. dhVesham
(feeling jealous), telling lies.. is all asuddham
(dirt to our mind..) what is said as anAchAram, to be
avoided in Ahara niyamam, one needs to avoid as much
as we can.. Avoid as much as possible, para annam
(hotels- eating outside) not that we disrespect, but
that it may contaminate our already contaminated
minds..

8. sthairyam: being steady.. Firmness- That is
essential. This can be achieved only when we have no
confusion or be influence by non-vedic thoughts
/arguments. (Sri Velukkudi Swamy said just by a simple
reading of the meaning /commentary of Sri Alavandhar?s
SthOthra Rathnam, one can get all their doubts
clarified.. Very true.. There are commentaries of
Swamy desikan, Periya vaachanpiLLai. On this great
hymn.. Really marvellous.. all our queries on
tatvatrayam, Vishitadvaitham, anya dEvathA will all
vanish..) the best option is: Just stay as AchArya
Thiruvadi.. means: What our AchAryan says is TRUTH..
Close your ears for other things..

9. aathmavinigarah: - means: Other than the knowledge
of actual swaroopam of jIvAthmA (which is being
dhaasabhootham / sEshan / servant  of  Emperumaan
Sriya: Pathi Sriman Narayanan), any other jnAnam /
longing for any other shall be KILLED (or in other
words, CURTAILED..)

All these greatest guNAs are so apt and applicable for
asmadhAcharyan Srimad ParavakkOttai Andavan as well.

asmadhAcharya paryanthAm vandhE Guruparamparam
Acharyan ThiruvaDigalE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana
dAsan