You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00028 Feb 2007

A TRIBUTE TO ASMAD ACHARYAN
It used to be said that unable to enumerate the auspicious qualities
of Bhagavaan, the Vedas returned crestfallen.
"Yatho vaachaa nivartantE apraapya manasaa saha"

The same can be said of the qualities of head and heart of Asmad
Acharyan. However much we may extol his `GuNas", they fit him like
a "T" and yet fall far short of describing him fully. I was
therefore, scared to write about him lest it should give an
impression that this was all that could be said about him. However,
his very qualities compel me to venture to say a few words of
obeisance to him.

As LakshmaNa put it, I became a slave to his GuNas.
"guNair daasyam upaagata:"

As Swami Desika puts it in his "GOdha Sthuti", his guNas embolden
even a dumb person like me to venture to write a few lines about him.
"mounaan mukharayanti guNaas tvadeeyaa:

As all of you know, he is hailed by all other Acharyas of our
Sampradayam as verily the "VasishTa" among them and as "NaDamaaDum
Deivam" (God walking on earth)

WHAT MAKES HIM QUALIFIED FOR THESE EPITHETS?
Asmad Acharyan belongs to a long line of "Munis" who are
absolute "Viraktas" to name fame and material gains but remain silent
to the point of being almost incognito shunning publicity and pomp,
doing their duties with incredible rigor and intense self discipline.

MUNI IN ALL TANIANS
If you look at the Tanians (Stand alone dedicatory verses) of
successive Achaaryas of Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, you will find
the word "MUNI" repeated in each one of them (For example)
Paravakkottai Andavan: "gOpaala Desika MUNIM gurum assrayaama:"
Vinnatrankarai Andavan: "Sri Srinivasa MUNIVARYAM aham prapadhyE"
Mannargudi Andavan: "Jnaabdim suguNaakaram MUNIVARAM Sriranganaatham
bhajE"
Poundarikapuram Andavan: "rangEsa paada vinatam Srinivaasa MUNIM
bhajE"
Narayana Maha Desikan: "naaraayanaakhyam MUNIM aasrayaama:"
PeriyaaNdavan: "Sri Srivaasa MUNEENDRA dEsika maNim sreyOnidhim
samsrayE"
TirutturaipooNDi Andavan: "Srimad Srivaasa Ramaanuja MUNIM anagham
tam bhajE DesikEndram"
Vazhuttur Andavan: "vEdaanta LakshmaNa MUNEH srita bhaagadEyam
paadaara vinda yugaLam saraNam prapadhyE"
Tirukkudantai Desikan: "vEdaanta LakshmaNa MUNEENDRA krupaata bOdam?"
Sri Saakshaat Swami: vEdaanta LakshmaNa MUNIM saraNam prapadhyE"

This repetition of the term "Muni" is not by any accident nor because
the composers could not find alternative expressions! I feel it was
by way of conscious recognition of the "Virakti" of these Acharyas in
not indulging in vain talk but keeping "mum" in silent contemplation
and meditation on the Lord. This does not mean that they never speak
out at all.  Speak they will, but only while expounding the nuances
of our Siddhantam in KaalakshEpamas or while advising on AnushTaanams
to their Sishyas in private.

TIRUTHIP PANI KOLLAL
H.H. is strict on himself and strict on others who come to him. He
would never spare anyone committing any indiscretions like coming
into the Asramam without washing their feet, without wearing Oordva
puNdram and the traditional Pancha Katcham (grihastas) and MaDisaar
(for Sumangalis). But, his advice would always be polite "hitam" so
that we would be made to feel ashamed of ourselves for the
indiscretions.

SANDHYAVANDANAM - A JUSTIFIED HARSHNESS
In the matter of doing Nitya karmas like Sandhyaavandanam, he is
uncompromising. Sometimes, he may look a bit harsh but it would
always be for our good.

DID YOU WASH YOUR HAND?
Once, I was attending the "Abhigamanam" and Pongal prasaadam was
offered and we had to take it with a leaf in our cupped up palms. I
had unwittingly kept it on the floor because I was called for some
urgent call. This had not escaped the watchful eye of H.H. When I
returned and was about to take the prasaadam back, he asked me
whether I had washed my hands.

ACCEPTING SISHYAS AND ADMINISTERING RAHASYA MANTRAS
H.H. follows the traditional method of testing the would-be- Sishyas
before accepting. He is not the one to consider "Anything is fish
that comes to the net". This is because his only concern is the
spiritual welfare of the would-be-Sishya and he is never motivated by
monetary considerations that might come with accepting Sishyas
indiscriminately.

In my case, when I went to him for BharaNyaasam some 23 years ago, he
asked me to go back and listen to KaalakshEpams of the then
Villivalam Swami (Present Jeeyar of AhObila Mutt) before coming back
to him for the purpose. He asked me to have a bath in the sea at
TiruppullaaNi for receiving the mantras. He insists on what Swami
Desikan says as "Ashad-karNam" method in administering Rahasya
mantras and does not initiate Sishyas en masse.

MOSQUITOES NOT DRIVEN
There were several occasions when we were given to realize that the
Sareeram of Achaarya like that of the Lord is made of Suddha Sattvam
and not like us.

While describing Rama to Sita in the AshOka vana, Hanumaan says:

"naiva damsaan na masakaan na keeataan na saree srupaan/
raaghavO apanayEt gaatraat tvad gatEnaanantaraatmanaa//" (VR-6-36-42)

I could see this once when I visited the Asramam in the evening.
Swarms of mosquitoes were invading everywhere. One cannot open one's
mouth lest a bunch of mosquitoes should get into the mouth. We were
fidgety all the time. H.H also went through the same torture. But,
not once did he venture to chase away the tormentors, not because he
was not bothered but because his concentration was on Bhagavaan.

Is it not said "Paramaatmani yO raktah viraktah aparamaatmani"

Another occasion we were reminded of this was when he had a fall and
fractured his leg. The Sishyas offered a wheel chair for him to sit
but he refused saying that he was not supposed to touch metal. With
excruciating pain, he slowly got up and moved to the Asramam. Anyone
of us in similar circumstances would have raised a hell of noise
renting cries of suffering.

Here is an Achaarya who proved his mettle in the face of grave pain.

Yet another occasion arose at the time of his SathaabhishEkam in
2001. H.H. used to get up early in the morning before dawn and climb
down the steps of the tank that had dried up but with some water in a
deep well dug at the center of the tank. Seeing how he was struggling
to climb up and down, we suggested that we would put up railings on
the side walls of the tank and well so that he could hold them for
steadying himself, especially as there was lot of moss and algae all
over making the surface slippery. He declined the offer saying again
that he cannot touch an iron railing.

To this day, he has been adhering to this difficult exercise!

ONLY WALKS ? NO PALLAKKU
He is the only Achaarya who does not travel by car or palanquin till
this day. He normally does not go out of Srirangam but when he does
on Sanchaaram, he always goes by foot as ordained by the Saastras.
This is not a reflection on others who may use vehicles. H.H. used to
say that he would not comment on them but this is the norm that he
had been following ever since he took up the ascetic order 25 years
ago and there was no reason for him to change it now.

Indeed, he is literally and allegorically a "NaDamaaDum Deivam"!

NO TELEPHONE
When we suggested that he should have a Telephone in the Asramam, he
resisted the idea saying that it would be a nuisance interfering with
his AnushTaanams. We had to convince him that it was in the interests
of his Sishyas who were like his children that there should be a
phone installed in the Asramam for our sake. I even suggested that we
would install an Answering machine with caller id so that he need not
have to answer the calls right away but could choose to call back if
he felt later that it was necessary for him to respond. Only after
much persuasion did he agree to our request to install a telephone...
And, this has been a boon to us because we are now blessed to hear
his voice through Tele-discourses.

SAPTADI, SATABHISHEKAM AND RAJAT JAYANTI OF HIS SANNYAASA SWEEKARANAM
H.H. would have none of the "Celebrations part" on the occasions of
his Saptadi, Sathaabhishekam and Rajat Jayanti of his Sannyaasa
Sweekaranam and wanted to keep them at a low key without pomp and
paraphernalia. It was almost impossible task for us to make him agree
to it. It was because these functions gave opportunities to be in the
midst of Veda Vidwaans whose company was dear to his heart, that he
accepted our requests.

SAMARPANAI
H.H. never asks for any assistance especially financial assistance
from anyone, whether it is for any function or for any Kainkaryams or
for even running of the day-to-day administration of the Asramam. He
is not the one to accept any Samarpanai unless he made sure that it
was tendered without any ulterior motives. Once, he contributed an
article to one of the Souvenirs. The publishers published it in the
name of another author. H.H. had noticed this but did not object.
When the publishers came to offer some honorarium for the article, he
politely declined.

COMPASSION INCARNATE
His extraordinary compassion to Sishyas and Abhimaanis should be seen
to be believed.

During my last visit in 2006, I could do the "SaashTaanga
namaskaaram" only with great difficulty, due to knee pain. H.H.
noticed this and immediately motioned to me saying that I did not
need to prostrate and that an Anjali was enough. He suggested that I
should apply some Ayurvedic Thailams to the knee and even took pains
to explain how to apply and how long too apply to get full relief.

TIRU ANBIL DWAJASTHAMBA KAINKARYAM
I will be failing in my duty if I do not mention the immense help and
guidance he gave in completing the Dwajasthamba Kainkaryam last year.
>From the inception to the conclusion, H.H. took personal interest in
obtaining estimates from various Sthapatis, arranging for the
approval by Temple and HR & CE authorities and instructing on even the minutest
details in executing the project.

READY ANSWERS
Every time I go to India, I used to collect a long list of doubts
bearing on our Siddhaantam and AnushTaanams for securing
clarifications from the H.H. He himself would ask me "Have you
brought any list this time?" For every question, he would give a
ready and convincing reply and for every doubt he would give
startling clarifications with appropriate PramaaNams.

GUEST HOUSE
Noticing that Sishyas and Abhimanis coming from outstations and
overseas were experiencing difficulty in getting suitable lodging
facilities, he had constructed a beautiful guest house very near the
Asramam. Anyone who goes to pay respects to H.H. can book a room at
moderate rent (just enough for maintaining it). This is a great boon
for people like me.

ACHCHIDRA ASWAMEDA PAARAAYANAM
During my SathabhishEkam in 2005, H.H. suggested that the
famous "Achchidra- AswamEdaha PaaraayaNam" may be arranged. I could
not find anyone to do it in U.S.A. H.H kindly arranged to have it
performed on my behalf at the Asramam itself under his immediate
supervision and the Veda Vidwaans were sumptuously rewarded and a
grand Tadeeya Aaraadanai was also done at the Asramam.

BOOKS GALORE
H.H. has brought out several publications like Srimad Rahasya Traya
Saaram, Chillarai RahasyangaL, Raampiraanai KarpOm etc and almost all
Desika StOtras with commentaries of Poorva Achaaryas. This is a
yeoman service to the SrivaishNava world that will be eternally
indebted to him.

We have the sacred duty of praying to Divya Dhampatis to grant
him "PoorNaayus" with pink of health.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: