You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2008

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00075 Feb 2008

Hari:,

My pranaams to all respected members of the Group.

I was wondering if someone could please explain to me the actual
intended meaning of these verses
======================================
In the Padma Purana it its mentioned:
visnor ekaika namapi, sarva vedadhikam matam
tadrk nama sahasrena, rama nama samasmrtam

"Each Name of Lord Vishnu is greater and more potent than the entire
Vedas combined together, and Lord Rama's Name alone is more superior
that a thousand Names of Lord Vishnu

In the Brahmanda Purana it is stated:

sahasra-namnam punyanam, trir-avrttya tu yat phalam;
ekavrttya tu krishnasya, namaikam tat prayacchati.

"And the pious results (punya) achieved by chanting the thousand holy
names of Vishnu (Vishnu-sahasra-nama-stotram) three times or (by
deduction) the Holy Name of Rama thrice can be attained by only one
utterance of the Holy Name of Krishna."

I am unable to understand the intention of the translation provided.

And as a result I often hear people saying that saying Krishna one
time is the same as same Ram 3 times.

My question is.  Is it ok to make such conclusions based on the two
verses?  Does the translation need to be taken in a numeric sense?
If it is to be taken in a mathematical sense, then it is hard to
comprehend as Shri Vishnu Sahasra Naam itself has the name Krishna in
there several times i believe.

Please enlighten me.

dasoham
Deepak