You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2009

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00082 Feb 2009

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy the acharyaâs glories. In our tradition, Acharya is
equal to God if not more than Him. Next in our Acharya lineage is Swami Sri
nAthamuniâ

LakshmI nAtha samArambhaam nAtha yAmuna madhyamAm..
Swamy Vedantha Desikan pays his obeisance to Sriman Nathamuni as follows:

nAthEna muninAthEna bhavEyam nathavan ahamam |
yasya naigamikam tatvam hastAmalakatam gatam ||

Sriman Nathamuni is the most benign master (Acharya ) for me. Sriman
Nathamuni indeed availed the good opportunity to perceive the true and
purport of Vedas, like a tiny amlaà fruit on oneâs palm (uLLan
nellikani).

Let me pay my humble obeisance to Sri Nathamuni by the folding of my palms.

Sriman NathamunigaL was born in 824 A.D in Aani anusham star, in
Kaattumannargudi, at Veeranarayanapuram near GangaikoNda chaozhapuram.
AzhwAr's paasurams (poems) called naalaayira divyap prabhandam composed by
twelve AzhwArs.

It was by divine grace of Sriman Narayanan that Sriman Naathamuni came to know
of the Tamil poems praising Lord Vishnu. It is believed that Sriman Naathamuni
heard some devotees visiting his home town singing a few (11) Tamil songs
starting with "aaraa amudhE adiyEn udalam" and ending with "... kuruhoor
sadagOpan kuzhalil maliyach sonna Or AyiratthuL ippatthum, mazhalai theera
vallaar kaamar maanEy nOkkiyarkE." (NammAzhwAr's Thiruvaaymozhi 5.8.1 - 5.8.11)

Sriman Nathamuni was greatly excited and enchanted with the exquisite
beauty of the poems. He approached the devotees and enquired about its
origin. The ending of the 11 poems, "aayiratthuL ippatthu,"(means this ten of
the thousand) suggested that there are many more such poems (may be thousand?).

Unfortunately, the devotees were unaware of any other poems besides the
eleven they had just finished reciting. However, they suggested to Sriman
Nathamuni that he may try enquiring in the town of thiruk kuruhoor, present day
AzhwAr thiru nagari near thirunelvEli. So he set out to travel from
kaattumannarkudi to thiruk kurugoor, where he found one paraangusa daasar.

>From him, Sriman Nathamuni learnt 11 more paasurams called kaNNinuN
sirutthaambu. These were composed by Madhurakavi AzhwAr and all 11 paasurams
are in praise of kurugoor SatakOpan(NammAzhwAr).

Paraangusa daasar suggested that he repeatedly recite this great kaNNinuN
sirutthaambu (sung in praise of Sri Satakopan- NammAzhwAr) in the hope of
pleasing the Lord. Sriman Naathamuni took his advice sincerely and recited it
about 12,000 times for about three months without a break! It is said that
NammAzhwAr impressed with Sriman Nathamuni's persistence and devotion, acharya
bhakti, appeared before him.

NammAzhwAr revealed to Sriman Nathamuni not just the 1102 paasurams of his own
"thiruvaay mozhi", but also all the rest of the paasurams composed by the other
eleven AzhwArs. Thus only because of Ssriman nathamuni, we are blessed with
AzhwArs srisukthis today.

Sriman nathamuni set these 4000 to tune and music and taught to Melai
agatthAzhwAn and Keezhai agatthAzhwAn (his nephews) and propagated the 4000 in
various Divya Desams. Nathamuni re arranged 4000 into four parts and introduced
the same as part of recitation in Divya Desams, as part of worship. Following
the teaching of NammAzhwar, Sri Nathamuni seems to have advocated the adoption
of Saranagati (self- surrender) as the means of salvation in place of rigorous
bhakti yogam, [which Sri Yamunacharya (Sri Alavandhar) followed and performed
his saranagati through his Chathusloki and Sthotra rathnam (tvadpaadha moolam
saraNam prapadyE) and subsequently by Ramanuja with his divine Gadya
thrayam. ]

Kaalam Valampurianna naRkkaathal adiyavarkku
TaaLam Vazhangit thamizh maRai INNISAI TANTHA VALLAL
MooLum tava neRi mootiya Naatha Muni KazhalE
nALum thozhuthezhuvOm namakkAr nihar nanilatthE

Let us prosrate at the lotus feet of Sriman nathamuni everyday. Who is equal to
us, (for being blessed with such greatest acharya sambandham)?
None, literally.

NathamunigaL is ÃâÅthe vaLLal who gave us the 4000 the insatiable nectar,
set to music..

Sri Nathmuni wrote two works: Nyaya tatvam and Yoga rahasyam.

Both are not extant. But Swamy Desikan and Ramanuja have referred to nyAya
tatvam in their works. Sri Alavandhar in his Athmasiddhi says, nyAyatatvam
is the most wonderful composition..

Sri Nathamuni ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana