You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2002

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00043 Jan 2002

Jan 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear fellow vaishnavites,

In this note, I am attempting to draw your kind attention to the various points on which proper analysis is required. These days, many serials and poetic tributes to the sage Ramanuja are witnessed by the people of India and abroad. Often, I think there is a need for correctness of the details (about him) as well as correct interpretation of the words and deeds of the great saint.

Recently, I came across a prose-poetry written by Vaali(Rangarajan) in the weekly - Anandavikatan. Vaali, knowingly or unknowingly has done a damage to the Great Acharya by way of comparing him with EVR and Ambedkar. Obviously, Vaali may be interested in drawing monetary benefits for making a mockery of the great Acharya of 11th century. There was one more attempt made by Prof Parthasarathy, former professor in delhi university. This man also made a lot of money by presenting a revolutionary picture of Sage Ramanuja. It seems there are number of people working day and night to understand the salient features in the history of Sri Ramanuja to suit their modern requirements. Let me brief my perception about our Great Acharya. I hope my views may dispel some doubts prevailing in and around us. Let us try to understand the Acharya in a phasewise manner:

1. Bhagavad Sri Ramanujacharya was a many sided personality. He reformed his advaita teacher Yadavaprakasa into Sri vaishanava Govinda Jeeyar. Many advaitis came under his spell and got transformed into Sri Vishistadvaita Order.

2. Sri Ramanuja treated Thirukachi nambi (a vaishya) as his teacher beacuse of the latter's erudition and qualities.

3. Sri Ramanuja had approved the actions of perianambi( Brahmin teacher) who served Maraneri nambi(a harijan follower) citing the references from Srimad Ramayana.

4. Sri Ramanuja was happy in treating both Dhanurdasa( a sudra disciple) and Dasarathi (his nephew) at par as his disciples.

5. Sri Ramanuja allowed people of fourth varna to enter into the temple and have darshan of lord once in a year.

6. Sri Ramanuja gave the holy water Thirtham to Bibi nachiyar and approved the worship of her idol in temples along with other deities.

7. Besides this, Sri Ramanuja led his life completely in accordance with the varnashrama dharma. Sri Ramanujacharya did not deviate or depart from the Varnashrama Dharma at any point of time. Rather, he went on relaxing the existing practices in the temple Order to extend the grace of the Lord to the downtrodden. This action did not amount to any violation of the varnashrma dharma order. He cited an authority from the vedic texts which say that every sentinent being is eligible for moksha.

......................to be continued in next email.............

With regards,
R.Parthiban

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia