Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:57:26 +0530
From: raghav@xxxx
Subject: RE: Question related to Bharniyasanam

Thondar Uhakkum Nin Thunai Adi Vaazhi

Can I be enlightened on the following

1. As we enter our temples, after paying obeisance at Dwajasthambam, we
worship Garuthman and go to Gajanar (equivalent of Pilliayar). Is it OK ?

The similarity between Gajaananar and Pillaiyar ends with both of them having elephant heads and the rest of the body similar to human beings. Gajaananar is a nityasuri in Sri Vaikuntham who is an assistant of Vishwaksenar along with Kumudan, KumudAkshar and Harivaktrar. Gajaananar took avataaram as Nathamuni, and the others came as Uyyakondar, Manakaal Nambi and Yamunacharya. Also to tell the difference between Gajaananar and Pillayar, the former will have Shankha, Chakram, Urdhwa Pundram and 2 dantams (tusks).

There is a large scale misunderstanding that this Gajaananar in Bombay Sri Ahobila Mutt temple is a Pillaiyar. In this light adiyen considered your question extremely important.

adiyen may be subject to correction with respect to the following, but adiyen has been told that when we prostrate at the dhwaja stambham, we have prostrated to everybody inside the temple.

2. What is the role of Gajanar in our temples

Perumal is worshipped along with Thaayaar and all nityasuri and Mukta jeevatmas who have attained Sri Vaikuntham and our Acharya Paramparai. Gajaananar being a nityasuri is worshippable for Prapannas. The line is drawn when it comes to baddha jivAtmas with the exception of other Srivaishnavas who may be revered as Acharyas or those who lead us to Acharyas give us kaalakshepam and parents and related elders.

3. Is it true that on Vinayaka Chathurthi day, kozhukattai is being offered
to the Gajanar in Sri Ranga Vimanam ?

Since you are from Srirangam, it may be easier for you find out for the rest of us. But since there are no rajasic and taamasic ingredients in Kozhukattai, even if it is offered, what is the objection?

7. For a person who has not had a Bharanyasam (only of course Samasrayam),
can he continue his own way till he comes forward for Baranyasa.

Why does a person do Bharanyaasam? It is not escape samsaaram, or to stay in Sri Vaikuntham forever without facing problems, even if this is what attracts us towards Sriman Narayana in the first place. By the grace of a sadaacharyan, when a person realizes that his existence is only for the purpose of serving Sriman Narayana, and that this combination of material body, mind and senses actually tempt us to do the opposite, we do Bharanyaasam so that we can go to Sri Vaikuntham and serve Sriman Narayana uninterruptedly, in a suddha sattva body when necessary, as such a body will not tempt us to do things that do not serve the purpose of Sriman Narayana.

To answer your question, doing what one likes before Bharanyaasam is like going to office and watching or listening to cricket commentaries without doing the assigned work. The consequences will follow whether one has done bharanyaasam or not. What Bharanyaasam will change is the timing and the intensity of the consequence.

adiyen Ramanuja daasan,
jagan.

It is only with a view to generating interest in the topic and ensure that
the message percolates down to the last srivaishnavan, I am raising them.
Please forgive me if I am wrong.

Adiyen

Srirangam Srinivasa Raghava dasan